DWAC-Pac Scenario 3 : La Petite Ferme

Stuff concerning Koz's Hedgerow Obsessive Disorder. ;)

DWAC-Pac Scenario 3 : La Petite Ferme

Postby Koz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:46 pm

First Scenario using the Big map. More to come.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: DWAC-Pac Scenario 3 : La Petite Ferme

Postby Koz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 am

The First Platoon, Company "A", under First Lieut. Michael P. Elcano and Staff Sergeant Walter P. Moore, supporting the 2nd battalion, 137th Infantry, were the first members of the battalion to make physical contact with the enemy, as shown by Lieutenant Elcano's report as follows:

"Having been placed in direct support of the 137th Infantry Regiment, the platoon was divided into two sections; The first section put the platoon under the command of Lieut. Elcano placed in support of the 3d battalion and the 2d section of the platoon under the command of Staff Sergeant Walter P. Moore, in support of the 2d battalion, 137ths Infantry."

"The 1st section moved out to join the 3d battalion at 0745 hours while the artillery laid a concentration on every position form where they could have observation posts. One of the destroyers slipped off the road over an overpass and had to be pulled out, after which was accomplished the tank Destroyer section proceeded down the road to St. Gillis, where road blocks made it necessary to by-pass them through hedgerows, where contact was established with the battalion S-3 officer at 0815 hours, when the party proceeded to the battalion command post, by foot approximately 800 yards southwest of St. Gillis." "The first assigned mission was the destruction of a group of houses in which the enemy had machine gun positions and which were holding up the advance of the battalion." "The first tank destroyer section was sent up a lane opposite the 137th Infantry observation post over a road which did not have a hard top and was muddy with ditches horizontally across it and the only approach to where fire could be brought on the targets. After about 400 yards the first tank destroyer threw a track, and while it was being towed out of the road, the battalion S-3 informed me that the enemy machine guns in the houses had pinned the troops down by deadly and accurate fires, and they must be destroyed at all cost." "The second destroyer while trying to pull the first one out of the road, threw a track as it attempted to back-up, due to the narrowness of the ravine. After setting up a ground defense, I proceeded to the 2d tank destroyer section to contact Sergeant Moore for help; meantime Corporal Rollins Nash, of the security section was sent back for the retriever at 0840 hours. In the meantime the second destroyer was brought up to support the 3d battalion." "Sergeant Dewey E. Barrington's tank in which commander, Staff Sergeant Moore was riding brought the houses with the enemy machine guns in them under fire from 300 yards range with high explosive shells and upon withdrawing from La Pte Ferne, bogged down to its belly in a marshy area. After firing on the houses and in the hedgerows surrounding La Pte Ferne, Sergeant Albert Schaeffer proceeded up the road about 600 yards in the direction of St. Gillis." "An enemy artillery barrage was immediately laid upon the two disabled vehicles of the first section and the personnel took cover in the deep ravine. Private Willie Minor, assistant gunner on Sergeant Travis L. Beall's destroyer, was wounded in the head by enemy artillery fire and was evacuated by litter-bearers, becoming the first casualty to be wounded by the enemy." "The tracks broke on two of the destroyers, both of the First Section, were towed back to the vicinity of St. Gilles-La Pte Ferne at 1015 hours at which time both the First and Second Sections were attached to the 2d battalion, 137th Infantry, attacking on the left flank and also on the left side of the St. Gillis-La Pte Ferne Road." "The 2d tank destroyer section under Staff Sergeant Walter P. Moore had not been committed to action as yet and were maneuvering about 400 yards in a northerly and southerly direction under intermittent enemy artillery fire." "At 1115 hours the first section was directed to fire into the hedgerows about 40 yards to the front of the OPLR, SE of La Pte Ferne, in which the enemy had concealed machine gun positions and observations posts. Sergeant Frederick G. Easley's destroyer moved into position in the northwest corner on the hedgerow and fired eight rounds of HE and about 500 rounds of .50 caliber machine gun fire into the enemy positions at which time the Infantry was advancing along the hedgerows." "After saturating the hedgerows with HE and .50 caliber machine gun fire Sergeants Easley and Barrington withdrew to the vicinity of the St. Gillis-La Pte Ferne Road."

July 13, 1945, Normandy, France.
Tasked with the east bank of the Vire River, The 35th "Santa Fe" Infantry Division charged to secure the western approaches to the communications nexus of St. Lo. Having overcome strong resistance at the fortified church of St. Giles, the 137th Regiments next objective was a cluster of stone houses at La Petite Ferme. It was the job of the 1st Battalion's E and F Companies to seize this location and they embarked at 08:00 to make the push. Unfortunately they were soon to discover an obstacle equal to the frustration experienced at St. Giles, for the Germans had fortified the buildings and manned them for a determined defense.

Aftermath:
Facing the 1st Battalion, were elements of the 897th Grenadier Regiment, of Kampfgruppe Kentner, which was composed of the mobile elements of the 266th ID. The Germans morale was high and they put up a defense that occupied the 1st until mid afternoon. Attacks and counter-attacks raged through the buildings which exchanged hands several times. By 1300 the Ist had prevailed, though at the cost of a half days delay and a share of the 17 killed, 106 wounded and 4 missing sustained by the 137th that day.

===============

8 turns. US moves first.
EC = Overcast.

US SAN=3, Germ SAN=5
US ELR=3, Germ ELR=3

Play Area. West of AA7 stream from rows AA to OO. (Not including the stream)

German Setup: On or within 3 hexes of building EE4.
German OOB.

Elements of Kampfgruppe Kentner, 897th Grenadier Regiment, 266th Infantry Division.

6 x 4-6-7
2 x 2-4-7
1 x 9-2
2 x 7-0
2 x LMG
1 x MMG
1 x HMG
2 x PSK
4 x ?
Entrenchments = 3 squad equivalent total.

3 x 81 mm MTR
3 x 2-2-8 (Gun/Mortar crews)

Enter on turn 4 from South Board edge
2x 4-6-7
1x 8-0

Enter on turn 6 from South Board edge
2x 4-6-7

----------

US Setup: Enter on the North board edge between OO1 and OO7

US OOB.
Coys. E & F, 2nd Btn. 137th Inf Rgt. of the 35th Infantry Div.
9 x 6-6-6
2 x 3-4-6
2 x 2-2-7
1 x 9-2 Leader
2 x 8-1 Leader
2 x 7-0 Leader
2 x Mtr 60mm
4 x DC
2 x Baz
1 x MMG
1 x HMG

Elements of the 654th Tank Destroyer Btn
2 x M10 GMC

1 pre game bombardment 105 mm artillery. (See SSR 4)

Victory Conditions:
The Americans must control all of the stone building locations EE4, FF4, DD3, & DD4, at game end.

Special Rules:
1. EC are Moderate with no wind at start. Kindling is NA. All hedges are Bocage (B9.5), the Stream is deep (B20.43).
2. All ground level locations that are part of the three stone building
cluster are considered fortified.
3. One German squad equivalent, including SMC/SW
stacked with it may set up HIP.
4. Roll 1d6 two times. Subtract 1 from the second roll. These are the hexrow numbers that are exempt from the bombardment. (See C1.81)
5: Bore sighting/preregistered is allowed for ordinance and MGs. Mortars may begin the game emplaced where allowed.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am

Just did some edits after a solo playtest.

I am in the 5th turn and the US are Just reaching the farms. Horrible time getting through all the boresighted hexes. But the US is finally driving off the mortar crews. The US is bled but not out so I added 2 more turns for a total of 8.

The US has a shortage of leaders. My 9-2 spent the whole time in the back field rallying stacks of broken 666 and 546 squads instead of directing to overcome the fortification modifiers. I added another 8-1 for rallying and a 7-0 for extra movement giving a 9-2 (Fire control) 2 8-1's (rally the stream of brokies coming backwards constantly) and 2 7-0 for movement help in the bocage.

Overcoming a +4 fortification is a bitch. I am thinking of replacing the HMG with a .50 cal HMG to help overcome the mods, but will wait and see. Would make a good balance at least.

Lastly, the US really needs smoke. The grenades they have are helpful, but those M-10's have a S5^5, so there are no smoke assets at all. I will hold off adding anything like a Big Mortar with smoke until retests.

As for the AAR. The bombardment was rather anticlimactic, as I had the Germans set up in foxholes or fortified stone buildings that were 2mc -4 or -5. Only one of the 81mm mortars was effected, the squad breaking and the gun suffering a malf. Placement of the 3 entrenchments was a head scratcher though as I had to spend one to serve my HIP PZK trap so the guy wouldn't get broken in the bombardment. The bombardment also served to eliminate some of my MG Boresighting desires as coming out of the entrenchments breaks BS.

The US came in strong in the center and West, with both tanks and 2 platoons, + heavy weapons, and a platoon with all the DCs to the east. Very rarely have they made morale checks in the West. It ws so bad I have 5 squad equivalents out of 7 in the rally hex at onetime (Fortunately they had broken the germans, but didn't have the power to cut them off.) The M-10's have been pivotal in clearing out the Mortar farm, getting breaks to snap the bore sight locations so the Main infantry can finally get up on the line. Even without smoke, their ROF 2 and 75MM (12 fp) attacks are showing effect, whenever they can overcome the +4 fortification modifiers. The Germans had a lot of hit dice in the kill stack though and stubbornly refused to crumble. I think I should have used the armor for some VBP Freeze Sleaze, but I preferred them for Armor assault and mortar suppression. Charging into PF armed troops is not a good idea.

The East went a lot better. I lost a squad equivalent, but drove him back to the farm. As I write there are a leader, 666, and Battle hardened 667 with 3 DC waiting their chance to approach. This is the best side to get to the farm, but the thin route of advance, that i interdicted with a mortar BS hex, is fairly easy to concentrate fire upon.

Anyhow its turn 5, and with the new 8 turns the US should be able to get into the farms. Time to try and clear out 6 building hexes, 2 with L1 Locations as well. Nearly all the germans are there now though. Gonna be a tough dig out, even with the tanks.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Balance and tweeks:
The German reinforcement groups are areas for play test pruning. A possible bump from turns 4 and 6 to 5 and 7 may be in the calling.
The US may need a .50 cal HMG instead of the straight HMG.
Remove one German 81mm MTR from the Germans OOB.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Koz,

I think I made the playtest notes from Jeff & I's playing on the scenario card, but in case you did not get the card here they are:

#1 VC's need to be reworded to US must capture X# of building/rubble hexes. In our game, Jeff rubbled 3 hexes IIRC in the pregame bombardment. Thus the US lost before the game started as there weren't enough stone buildings for the US to capture to fufill the VC.

#2 Jeff really diced himself on the pregame bombardment. We kept playing and Jeff ceded the game as the Germans a couple a turns early. This is good as it should be the expected out come of a pre game bombardment pounding of the Germans. As the US I would have needed another turn to capture the the remaining buildings thus giving the US a win with a turn to spare.

#3 If you want the US to be able to use the DC without unqualified use penalties you will need to make the 2 HS in the US OB elite, or the US player will need to do as I did and have their leaders use the DC. I think the elite HS is the way to go, could might be able to drop a 7-0 leader from the US OB if you do that. I think the DC are critical to the US as a way to breach and enter the Fortified Building locations.

#4 IIRC you had the modifier on the pregame bombardment dr incorrect, the modifier you had listed (-1 IIRC) would have made one of the board edge hexrows immune to the bombardment, a (+1 mod IIRC) would have given the hexrow a chance to be hit by the bombardment.

My basic US strategy was to send the TD's up the right flank (wiht the US Mtrs) to take position on the Hedgerow and provide a base of fire to suppress the Germand Mtrs and suppress the buildings. And provide smoke for my midgame buildign rush. Continued on next post.....
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:18 pm

....Meanwhile I moved the bulk of the US infantry up the left flank following a screen of HS scouts. Due to the very effective pre-game bombardment I was able to complete my first 2 turns of movement basically untouched.

My TD dual with the mortars ended up with my TD's being suppressed with one recalled. My MG kill stack ended up supressing the German Mtrs. My Mtrs were a non factor in the game other than as targets.

There was a bit of a log jam on the US left trying to get aroung the buildings, but eventually enough 6ML Americans were able to get by and start infiltraiting the building/rubble coplex from the rear (US) left flank. Timely smoke from a TD on the front most hex of the building complex neutralized the German HMG post long enough to allow this flank move to occur. Evenually US firepower was able to break enough of the few remaining Germans to allow the US to get into the Buildings/Rubble to encircle most of the other remaining German units.

Hope this helped Koz.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Koz » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am

Yes it did. I was startled at how bad Jeff was hurt by the bombardment, and even more startled at how well he held you off after. Would like to see more playing of this one to see how this averages out.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Return to DWAC PAC