DWAC-Pac Scenario 9 : Grist for the Mill

Stuff concerning Koz's Hedgerow Obsessive Disorder. ;)

DWAC-Pac Scenario 9 : Grist for the Mill

Postby Koz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm

7th scenario for the big map. More to come.
User avatar
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 am

Re: DWAC-Pac Scenario 9 : Grist for the Mill

Postby Koz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm

DWAC PAC Scenario 7 "Grist for the Mill"

The second HUGE scenario, along with Le Carillion. This will be a two pronged attack, a reinforced company (12 squads) attacking along both sides of the stream vs the remnants of the Germans (9 squads). I have to admit I am taking much license in this scenario, as the 320th did not really attack here at its extreme right. The historical notes indicate its attack here was mostly an attempt to straighten its line. But I have a whole half of the map unused so I feel the need to indulge.

My first glance is that the US will have choices. Attack towards the Mill then back to the Noses CP, Attack the Noses CP and towards the Mill, or a two pronged attack of equal or different strength. Both routes require a slog through bocage of varying density and an attack on a building cluster.

The Germans of course have to defend and will have to set up a reserve to deal with whatever route of attack the US chooses to press. Delay will be the name of the game. And deciding where to defend. The Nose, or By the Mill?

My read will be a US push to the left or the right with a demonstration to the weak side to fix the defense at that side. The Germans move a reserve to hold off/delay the US main push, then all fall back through the bocage to defend/attack the remaining CP.

Meanwhile the 320th Infantry had been operating on the left side of the Division zone. The regiment had attacked at 0600 on 11 July with Company C of the 60th Engineers attached. The initial line occupied was an inverted L-shape, and the plan of maneuver included bringing the right flank, which ran north-south into line with the left flank running east-west. The 1st Battalion, which operated on the right, initially was confronted with the problem of executing a turning movement while attacking a very tough salient. The 2nd Battalion, later replaced by the 3rd Battalion on the left flank, also met very stiff resistance, and any advance in its line created a possibility of losing contact with the battalions on its right. Led by Colonel Bernard A. Byrne, the Regimental Commander, the 320th held all lines until they were able to smash the foe and gain their objective.
On the other side of the nose, the 1st Battalion of the 320th, trying to push on south and east of le Carillon, was stopped by the severe flanking fires from enemy positions on the nose.

The 320th had been fighting from an L-shaped line on the division's left flank. To straighten the line against a leather-tough salient and keep the battalions in constant contact during the attack was an intricate, difficult operation. When 3rd Bn. was in danger of being driven back by a strong counter-attack and losing contact with 1st Bn., Co. K, commanded by Capt. Kenneth H. Trossen, called for more ammunition. The remainder of the battalion re-formed and attacked. Capt. Thomas A. Swanson, 2nd Bn. Operations-Officer, was killed while leading a patrol against a machine gun position.

The 29th and 30th Infantry Divisions continued to attack southwest. The 320th Infantry attacked after a thirty minute artillery concentration but made only limited progress. The 320th Infantry attempted to regain contact with the 137th on their right supported by the 654th Tank Destroyer Battalion, but strong, desperate and fanatical resistance at coordinates 501695, Map, 1/25, 000, St Lo, prevented the tank destroyers and patrol from accomplishing their mission. One platoon of enemy soldiers appeared to the front of Companies K and L with their hands up shouting "Kamarad" while advancing toward their lines. When the enemy soldiers come into small arms range of the companies they fell to the ground and open fired on the platoons, forcing them to withdraw to their former positions.

The command post of Company "B" remained 1 mile SW Moon-Sur-Elle during the period, (coordinate 528726, Map 1/25,000). At 2230 hours the first tank destroyer platoon commanded by First Lieut. Scott P. Cooper and Staff Sergeant E. L. Smith reported to the commanding officer 320th Infantry, for an assault mission of supporting 18 men from Company "D", 320th Infantry, to investigate a reported gap in the Division Lines, and to destroy any enemy found to be present in the sector, which was bounded by coordinates 501691-500681 west to 494685. The patrol supported by the 1st destroyer platoon moved toward the sector at about 1100 hours. At 1230 hours the first section of the destroyer platoon fired 7 rounds of high explosive shells into a barn at coordinates 502691, which contained enemy machine gun positions, snipers and observation post, with undeterminable results, but activity ceased after firing. At 1315 hours the leading elements of the patrol were completely pinned down due to the intensive and accurate machine gun fire from RJ 501688 which was protected with houses, hedgerows, and culverts. The patrol commander requested that the destroyers fire into the enemy positions with high explosive shells to clean out resistence, and the first destroyer section moved to within 100 yards of the enemy positions and fired 86 rounds of high explosive shells into the area. One enemy machine gun and its crew were blown into the air into bits by the third burst fired into the position, and it is believed that the enemy suffered severe casualties as the result of this action. Sergeant Alexander W. Wilson's destroyer hit an enemy mine with blew the tracks, but the crew continued to fire into the enemy's positions until the firing mechanism on the gun failed, at which time it had to be temporarily abandoned due to heavy enemy artillery and mortar fire. Sergeant Snyder retained his destroyer in its original position and continued to pump high explosive shells into the enemy positions, and remained there until the Infantry patrol had successfully withdrawn the crew of Sergeant Wilson's destroyer had been rescued by his destroyer.

The first destroyer of the 2d section command by Sergeant Willie Shepperd, destroyed a house at coordinates 501591 which was being used as shelter by enemy snipers. All enemy soldiers in the house were killed. Small arms fire was detected in another building in the vicinity and the platoon security section under Sergeant Richard O. Walker, brought the building under small arms fire with .30 caliber machine guns and carbines. Seven enemy soldiers came screaming out of the building and fell to the ground head under a hail of bullets form the security section, not until however five rounds of APC and ten rounds of HE were fired into the building by the destroyer crew.

About 1340 hours the enemy laid a heavy concentration of artillery and mortar fire upon the platoon positions, and lacking Infantry to occupy the silenced strong points the platoon withdrew to friendly lines.

Scenario Image

July 13, 1945, Normandy, France.
Operating on the left wing of the 35th Division, the 320th straddled the east flank of the La Mare - Le Carillion Nose along its Regimental boundary with the 137th on the west flank. After capturing Le Carillion, the first Battalion found itself in an inverted L with the other two battalions to the left. In order to bring the right flank in line east-west with the center, the 1st was ordered to conduct a turning maneuver while maintaining contact with the 137th to the east. Not realizing the strength of the position it was advancing onto, the 320th emerged from Le Carillion and moved to the southeast to link up with the 137th and clear out the hedgerows before it.

Assaulting to the south and east of the hamlet, the 320th ran into the defenders of Kampfgruppe Kentner, and engaged. After taking severe flanking fire from the enemy positions on the nose, the attacks were stopped cold. Although the success of Kfg Kentner held off the 1st Battalion at the nose, failures against the remaining battalion's of the 35th ID, to the west, and the 29th ID further down the line to the east, caused the position to become salient to the main battle line, quickly making it untenable and forcing a withdrawal to new positions at the Hamlet of Emilie.

German CPs at S20 and K28

Area in Play
South of and including Row Z, East of and including row 16

Victory Conditions
The US must control both German CPs at S20 and K28.

US SAN=3, Germ SAN=5
US ELR=3, Germ ELR=2

US (Co. G, 2nd balallion, 137th Regiment, 35th Infantry Division)
On or north of Row U on East side of stream Q25

12 x 666
3 x 346
2 x MMG
1 x .50 cal HMG
3 x BAZ 45
3 x 60 mm MTR (Can be exchanged for OBA + radio)
1 x 9-2
1 x 9-1
1 x 8-1
2 x 8-0

Elements of the 60th Engineer Batallion.
1 x 7-0
2 x 347
2 x DC

Elements of the 737th Tank Battalion
2 x M4 Shermans
1 x 9-1

Germans (Elements of the 352nd Division, 7th army)
West of stream Q25:On or south of hexes W17 to W20 to V19 U20, T19, S20 ,R20 to R22, to O24.
East of stream Q25:On or south of row Q

10 points to Purchase Fortifications.
Fortified Building = 2 FP
Wire = 1 FP
Roadblock = 2 FP
6 factors of AP Mines =1 FP
1 factor AT mines = 1 FP
1 Squad Equiv Foxhole = 1 FP
Breach = 1 FB
Observation tower-1FP

9 x 4-6-7
1 Radio
1 10-2
1 9-1
1 8-1
1 8-0
2 7-0

2 81mm MTR
2 x Pak 38 ATG
4 x 228

1 OBA 81mm (Scarce ammunition)

SSR1: Sunken Roads are as per the Campaign SSR. (See Hedgerow thread.)
SSR2: The stream is shallow.
SSR3: Weather is overcast with chance of rain.
SSR4: The US 347's are assault engineers
SSR5: The DCS may be used to breach bocage as per standard rules for wall breach.
SSR6: German CPs are a 2s equivalent bombproof with an inherent field phone that may also be considered attached to an observation tower if adjacent.
SSR7: 2 squad equivilents and accompanying SMC/SW may be HIP.
User avatar
Posts: 1092
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 am

Return to DWAC PAC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests