DWAC-Pac Scenario 10 : Sunken Hopes

Stuff concerning Koz's Hedgerow Obsessive Disorder. ;)

DWAC-Pac Scenario 10 : Sunken Hopes

Postby Koz » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:54 pm

8th scenario on the big map. More to come.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: DWAC-Pac Scenario 10 : Sunken Hopes

Postby Koz » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm

DWAC PAC Scenario 8 "Sunken Hopes"

A lower counter density attack up the west board edge. The US company E emerges from La Mare and runs into the 2 sunken roads South of the town. I give the Germans some fortifications and plenty of MGs to help slow down the US forces, but they have a task ahead of them to defend two victory locations on opposite sides of the draw with only 4 squads. No ATW assets here beyond the PSKs and PFs, but look at the terrain. They aren't needed. I also give them a module of OBA, but LOS issues should make this extremely hard to use, particularly if the observers are smoked. I am a little leery on this however given the restricted avenues of approach and the CVP effects on victory conditions which can be skewed on a lucky set of FFE rolls, so I may cut the OBA entirely if play tests show it to be unbalancing.

My thoughts on the Victory conditions are to allow the US flexibility on where to attack. The left or the right. The Germans must be prepared to shift forces and aggressive play can wrack up CVP.

Also, I think I am going to switch the titles of "Into the Maze" and "Sunken Roads" as this one is more with Sunken roads and the next will deal with the big mess in the middle of the board. Matter of fact. Doing so. Dave? Switch to what is up top?

On 14 July, Company E of the 137th was able to get through three hedgerows against light opposition, but then struck fields bordered by sunken lanes and well defended. It continued attacking the rest of the day and advanced only one more field length. Company G managed to approach the east-west lane at which began the main enemy defensive positions and cleaned out the road intersection (Point 89), taking 60 prisoners and 9 machine guns. Finding the Germans well dug in along this line and beyond it in depth, the battalion commander decided to go back to the draw (that is, west) and attack up it, to outflank the enemy. Taking advantage of good cover in the draw, Company G managed to get up abreast of E. There it fanned eastward several hundred yards and resumed attack to the south. The company soon discovered that its maneuver had not gone far enough to envelop the enemy positions, particularly the reserve line, dug in along another east-west lane. Several times Company G almost reached this lane, only to be forced back by heavy fire from the front and left flank. The battalion commander tried a wider envelopment by sending Company F west of E and then south, but this effort netted only one field. On the other side of the nose, the 320th Infantry was making even less headway on 14 July.
---
Following a blistering 30-minute preparation barrage fired by the 161st, 216th and 219th Field Artillery Battalions, the 137th renewed the attack at 0800 the following day with the 3rd Battalion on the right, 2nd Battalion on the left and 1st Battalion in the center. One platoon of tanks of the 737 Tank Battalion was attached to each battalion.

==========
Scenario Picture
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-A-StLo/img/USA-A-StLo-p84.jpg

July 14, 1945, Normandy, France.
Following a 30-minute preparation barrage by the 161st, 216th and 219th Field Artillery Battalions, the 137th renewed the attack towards Ponte Hubert at 0800. Company E, supported by a platoon of tanks of the 737 Tank Battalion, emerged from La Mare to continue the 1st Battalion's push south. Contact was made almost immediately as the Grenadiers of Kampfgruppe Kentner accepted the challenge and fell in line for another day of delay and attrition.

Aftermath:
The Americans encountered light opposition amongst the first three hedgerow fields, then struck fields bordered by sunken lanes and determined defenders. Assaults commenced upon this line and continued through the rest of the day. The result of the efforts was only one more field, heavy casualties, and frustration. The attack, however, was the most successful in the sector that morning and efforts soon shifted from tougher areas to build upon the salient's potential.

==========

Game Length. 6 turns.

Area in Play
South of row V and West of row defined by the alternate hex grain M12, N11, O12, P11

Victory Conditions
Provided the us has more CVP than the Germans, The US wins if one of two conditions are met:
1: the US controls Buildings I7 and I8
OR
2:The US has <= 3 Squad equivilents south of Row I and west of stream I5

If the German has more CVP than the US, Both conditions must be met.

US SAN=3, Germ SAN=5
US ELR=3, Germ ELR=2

US (Co. E, 2nd balallion, 137th Regiment, 35th Infantry Division)
On or North of Row S on West side of stream Q4

8 x 666
2 x 346
2 x 227
1 x MMG
1 x .50 cal HMG
2 x BAZ 45
2 x 60 mm MTR
1 x 9-2
1 x 8-1
1 x 7-0

[u]Elements of the 60th Engineer Batallion.

1 x 7-0
2 x 347
2 x DC

Elements of the 737th Tank Battalion
2 x M4 Shermans

Germans (Elements of Kampfgruppe Kentner, 897th Grenadier Regiment, 266th Infantry Division. )
On or South of Row Q on West side of stream Q4
On or South of Row R on East side of stream Q4

6 points to Purchase Fortifications.
Fortified Building = 2 FP
Wire = 1 FP
Roadblock = 2 FP
6 factors of AP Mines =1 FP
2 factors AT mines = 1 FP
1 Squad Equiv Foxhole = 1 FP
Breach = 1 FB
Observation tower-1FP

4 x 467
2 x 247
2 x 228
1 x HMG
1 x MMG
4 x LMG
2 x PSK
2 x 81mm MTR
1 x Radio
4 x ?
1 9-2
1 8-1
1 7-0

1 OBA 81mm (Scarce ammunition)

SSR1: Sunken Roads are as per the Campaign SSR. (See Hedgerow thread.)
SSR2: The stream is shallow.
SSR3: Weather is overcast with chance of rain.
SSR4: The US 347's are assault engineers
SSR5: The DCS may be used to breach bocage as per standard rules for wall breach.
SSR6: The Germans may start with one Squad equivalent (plus stacked leaders, SW) HIP.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Return to DWAC PAC