Thanks for a great outing

Postby Koz » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:17 am

How went the meet?
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: Thanks for a great outing

Postby Randym » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:59 am

DR and JT played the same playtest scenario that Keith and I played, with totally different results. DR won as the Brits, Keith won as the Japanese. DR sent some phone photos to Chas during the meet. Haven't played PTO in a while, so it was good fun. Those Japanese leaders are really good, getting the Commisar bonus was well as the drm for morale. The Brits lacked the firepower I am used to seeing in PTO ( I was looking around in vain for a couple of USMC squads and a .50 cal). They only got 2 lousy LMG's. And that firepower is what stops a banzai charge.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby drchilds » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:29 am

Randym wrote:DR and JT played the same playtest scenario that Keith and I played, with totally different results. DR won as the Brits, Keith won as the Japanese. DR sent some phone photos to Chas during the meet. Haven't played PTO in a while, so it was good fun. Those Japanese leaders are really good, getting the Commisar bonus was well as the drm for morale. The Brits lacked the firepower I am used to seeing in PTO ( I was looking around in vain for a couple of USMC squads and a .50 cal). They only got 2 lousy LMG's. And that firepower is what stops a banzai charge.

That and FFMO. :)
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:11 pm

Once again,

Thanks to all who came out. I had a good time. I think it makes the hour drive worthwhile for DR and I to know there are fun, skilled, gracious ASL opponents willing to come out and have some fun with our shared WWII geekery.

It was fun to playtest for the greater ASL good. It was a nice touch to all play at the same table (and the same scenario). It harkened back to the early days of DWAC at Bob's Game Gopher and added a bit to the camaraderie.

As the Japanese in this one I have to say I also felt the preassure to move faster. I was at the point of moving a stack of 3 squads + leader that I was sure was out of los of all the enemy units and at the last moment I shouted "children don't try this at home" and then promply remembered the Aussies had mines and I took the better part of valor option and moved my units individually. More and more I'm becoming convinced that before moving in a big stack as a player you need to ask yourself, "Is moving this stack absolutely required for me to win?" If the answer is no, move individual units.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I second every thing Keith said. Really good time, and enjoyable company. I certainly learn a lot with each ftf match.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Return to February 2010 Meet