Lessons Learned

March 2010 Meet

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am

Randym wrote: Followup question - could the afv have used their smoke dispensers in the hex, then backed out? Would that leave smoke in the hex? NRBH.

Use smoke dispensers, absolutely! A very valid and effective tactic. It would leave smoke in the hex, but remember smoke only goes up to LvL 2 (WP LvL 4), the very bottom of LvL 2. So the smoke would essentially be at the boot soles of my MMG on LvL 2.

So if IIRC, the general conscensus ruleswise is that the Smoke would not affect my MMG shots to any target at LvL2 or higher, but would hinder shots to any lower level targets because the LOS from the firing hex center dot would pass thru smoke in the firing hex on its way to the center dot of the lower level target hex.

Does that make sense.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:51 pm

Yes, makes sense. I still have a lot to learn about the effective use of smoke. Of course, I didn't think of this until after we played.
:?
Randy
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:54 pm

I know they can use them like that. I was able to use them to save the loss of a STUG in a game vs Keith a couple years ago. His Ruskie tank comes over the hill and I miss him in my fire phase. He has me dead to rights in a gun duel so in my Movement phase I pop the sD and fling into reverse. The Smoke concealment DRM's force him to miss and I back out of LOS over a crest.

I'm proud of that one. Too bad I mussed up most of the rest of that game. ;)
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:23 pm

The mantra of SFB is "Use your tractor beams, dammit!"

The mantra of ASL is "Use your Smoke, dammit!"
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Previous

Return to March 2010 Meet