Lessons Learned

March 2010 Meet

Lessons Learned

Postby Dear Leader » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:52 pm

My lesson for today: read the victory conditions, twice.

I misread the victory conditions for Gavin Take ever so slightly and only realized it half way through the game.

Joel played a fantastic game and exited what he needed on the very last turn, so now I have to wonder about what might have happened if I hadn't been misaligned in those earlier turns.

D
Dear Leader
Dear Leader
Dear Leader

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby Koz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:24 am

A received a schooling by fire on the use of the OBA flow chart.

Looks like I have the Bombardment rules wrong in my head also.

Also how the non OT AFVs are effected by the OBA.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby dgdimick » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:54 am

Things I learned:
1. You have to play to learn.
2. You need to play outside of your rule knowledge if you want to be a more "mature" player.
3. The scenario Koz and I played is ready to be released. If I would not have moved all my troops to prevent an off board retreat, I would have won. Or at least not lost have way through. Like Dave said, re-read the Victory Conditions, it sot of helps a lot.
4. OBA, it nasty, took out 2 of 3 tanks (Burning Wreaks) with it. Stone buildings offer fairly good protection, if there's Arty in the game, stay under cover.
5. You can drag LATW's all over the map and not use them - they put them in the OOB for a reason, however, OBA did the job for them.
6. Once your under OBA fire, sometimes it's better to just sit and suffer; moving in it make you suffer a lot more at times.
7. OBA makes you look in the RB for a LOT things you don't know, or ask Keith and everyone else.
8. DR has all the "secret cheat codes" since he works for MMP. How Devon ever beat him is beyond me; I think Devon's been seeing other ASL players that are not part of our family. I feel kind of "dirty" knowing this.
9. DR will buy up EVERYTHING off of E-Bay and make the rest of us unhappy, just look at the posts on ConSim. There's a really nice guy that will explain it all to you.
10. I had a really good time, and can't wait for next month, thanks everyone for showing up and making it so fun.

Denis
dgdimick
Co-founder
Co-founder

Postby jjtaylor37 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:38 am

ROF three weapons especially HMGs and 81mm Mtrs. can be fun when thay don't malfunction. I'd like to thank JD for be such a good sport after my HMGs and Mtrs went on rof tears. Not a gripe was heard. Even after he got into position and gacked several attack rolls still no complaining. A true sport. I've know people to cuss and throw dice over much less. Thanks for the scenario Chris. Looks like it will be a nice product when it's finished. JD, I look forward to playing you again so you can get your revenge. Thanks for a great game day everyone!
jjtaylor37
8-1
8-1

Postby Keith Collins » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:36 pm

For for the past few years one of my mantras has been to go over the VC's pre game with your opponent and understand them to avoid mistakes/confusion, (See Dear Leaders post above) and I've managed to do that quite well. Now I need to add to that pregame discussion set up areas and entry areas. I totaly missed that the attacker in our scenario had very limited entry and thus I had 2 squads out of place in my set up. (I've also gakked a couple other set ups in the last year or so)

I learned moving 3 MF Green squads makes it hard to redeploy (see out of place above).

I learned having a range of 3 makes it hard to inflict casualties on attacking troops (who have double your range) in semi open terrain and you have to adjust your set up and tactics.

I've learned that you really must use intensive fire with care. I had only 2 AT guns to counter the 6 AFV force Randy had to attack with. In turn 4 of a 9 turn game I IF'd one gun and broke it. In turn 7 I IF'd another and broke it. 2 IF shots and 2 broke guns. And a corresponding loss of a deterant threat. The IF decisions were my worst mistake of the game.

I'm learning more and more that the dice really have little to do with the outcome of the game. Especially in larger/longer scenarios. When Randy had to leave with 2 turns left I'd conceded as I figured he had about 80%-90% chance of winning. The primary reason was not my below average dice but because Randy played well and the biggest factor was the few bad decisons I made.

#1 Was both IF shots. There was no real critical need for them and they denied me valuable AT assets, If the IF shot(s) had worked they still would not have won the game for me. Or conversly, If I still had the AT guns when Randy left his chance to win would most likely been in the 50%-60% range.

For me taking IF shots is now going to be up there with moving in stacks, any time I'm temped to do it I'll always ask myself if the IF shot is required to win or if losing the gun will make me lose.

#2 Was my set up mistake, and extra couple extra squads on the attackers approch could have slowed them down a turn or so.

#3 Was my poor choice of targets. I focused MMG fire on AFV's late in the game when I should have fired at the more vunerable infantry (who were required to win).

ALL in all it was a well played game by Randy and myself with only a few mistakes by either player that I could see.

I learned about Choke points and bog.

I relearned the molotov rules.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:31 pm

Lessons learned:

Getting beat multiple times teaches lessons. I am getting more comfortable with vehicles and using cover to approach targets (no more driving a tank up to a building and knocking on the door to see what happens!).

Hadn't done overruns in a while; got used to them, even when the threat of molotovs is present. I did sweat a bit when Keith was rolling those dice - there is always a chance of hitting.

Early war tanks can be fun. Some of them have a tin can aspect, but is cooler than always having a Panther vs. Sherman duel.

ROF on even a medium mg can be devastating. That one Yugoslav mg kept a lot of guys in check.

Learned that bog rolls must be made in hexes adjacent to marshes.

Learned the molotov rules. Even the greenest allied minor HS can give you pause to think about exact vehicles routes.

If the enemy infantry has a range of 3, park your tank 4 hexes away.

Getting lucky with the dice (or Keith getting unlucky on the IF rolls) really helps.

Looking at a blank map (all his units were HIP except one stack) is intimidating. Makes the use of HS and HT for recon valuable.

VBM sleaze doesn't work on a second story MG.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Keith Collins » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Randy said...

"VBM sleaze doesn't work on a second story MG."

Randy I just want to offer a point of clarification:

NRBH but IIRC the requirement for 7.??? "Target Selection Limits" are that the AFV be in the "location" of the defending units to be "freeze" them or defending units eligible for Triple Point Blank Fire (TPBF) vs a target can only fire at that target.

So your buttoned up AFV in bypass of a building on LvL 0 did not "freeze" by MMG on LvL 2.

If your AFV had been CE (or open topped) then the MMG on LvL 2 would be eligible for TPBF against the exposed crew and would be "frozen" because their only eligble target was your AFV crew.

Sorry if I did not explain that during the game. It was getting late in the game and ASL fatigue may have set in. I'm not sure if you would have wanted to take the 12 flat on your Panzer IV crew. (+2 CE, -2 leader)
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm

Keith,

No problem - I think I understand the difference on "locations" within the building now. I was thinking back to another game with a similiar situation, but in that case the mg was on the ground level, and so was frozen. In that case my squad was able to use CC to attack and kill the (French) Char B-1 that had them frozen.

No, wouldn't want a 12 shot on the CE crew! Followup question - could the afv have used their smoke dispensers in the hex, then backed out? Would that leave smoke in the hex? NRBH.

Randy
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Randym » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

Koz,

I think DR copied you on the email, but could you write up an AAR for your playtest?

Thanks!
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 pm

I plan to. Had too much to do on Sunday and I was up at 3 am today to drive to Tucamcari. Rest assured. I was talking aloud to myself to keep from falling asleep at the wheel this morning, and the AAR was the subject. ;)
Koz
10-2
10-2

Next

Return to March 2010 Meet