Lessons Learned

April 2010 Meet

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby drchilds » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Since that's an AA gun that happens to be a MG firing as ordnance, I think the CH applies. NRBH, but I think the prohibition on CH is only for SW MG's firing TH/TK.
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Randy,

I actually got a Critical hit (I think) with the 12.7 AA after you left. IIRC it was 5 TK base (x2 CH) = 10 + 1 range mod = 11 (down 2 for front armor on SPA LTV) for a FTK of 9, gakked both TK rolls (12.7 AA gun notes allow 2 TK rolls)
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Ouch! I think my dice evened out over the day. The malfed guns were matched by the 2 and a couple of 3's rolled later. But I still didn't hit anything big after the first shot from the ATR. I will look on those 20mm ATR's with a bit more respect from now on. I think the hot sniper was the biggest killer outright.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby drchilds » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Keith, I think the relevant part of E7.25 is referring to a concealed stack moving in Open Ground. If the Sighting TC is passed, the Aircraft player can inspect the stack, or elim a Dummy and optionally not count that as the only Sighting TC. Your thoughts?
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:46 pm

And I'm no longer so sure about the 12.7mm AA gun being allowed CH...
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm

And I'm no longer so sure about the 12.7mm AA gun being allowed CH...

Looks like I was wrong ... see C3.7 Critical Hits, line 13:

"MG (including all 12.7mm [.50-cal] and aircraft MG, but not 15mm) TK attacks have no CH possibility..."
(emphasis added)

Oh well...
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 pm

Yeah. That Sniper was very annoying. Allt he pains I took to move out of sight and he just kept coming.

For those that did not follow the game. He killed my 10-2 (Who was stacked up with a squad and HS for sniper protection!!!) Broke 2 Full squads, and 2 Half squads, Broke up my entire HMG Kill stack with a yahtsee in the process, Shocked one of Dennis' Amtracks (Before they used a warm sniper roll to move him to bother me.) and DM'd a large stack of brokies who would most likely have rallied the next turn with the leader I had just backpedaled there. Kept me buttoned up the whole game except at the very very end. Amazing! I dont think Keith and Randy got more than 3 shouts at my infantry over the whole game but I had # squad equivilents down broken at one time from Mr Hathcock-san.

I learned a ton with the assault and the caves. Been a while since I have been up against a fortified map. Fun all around.

There will be an AAR upcoming. Was going to write it tonight but they just called me up for a late night Wal-Mart inspection again. >={
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 am

Lessons learned,

I also learned that once again read the scenario card. I completely missed the small print in the Japanese OB set up section that declared they could set up HIP in hinterland hexes. I needlessly devoted a large part of my set up planning on how to get all the Jap units HIP using Caves, Pillboxes, etc

Randy,

You were right on the issue of Jap 50mm MTRs in Caves, they are the only MTR's that can fire out (barring dense jungle or bamboo in their hex) of caves. We could have been putting a little more fear into the open topped SPA amtracks had I realized that.
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 am

Randym wrote:
Looks like I was wrong ... see C3.7 Critical Hits, line 13:

"MG (including all 12.7mm [.50-cal] and aircraft MG, but not 15mm) TK attacks have no CH possibility..."
(emphasis added)

Oh well...

I still think its a little unclear,

1: If the meaning is all MG's (including aircraft and the 12.7mm variety) where in the rule book does it define MG's SWs? 1/2" counters, all Guns equal to or under 12.7 mm? what about French 13.2 mm? all guns under 15mm? 20mm? :?

2: If the meaning is all MG's (and any 12.7 mm weapon) I think it should be more clear.

FWIW, I now think the more restrictive second interpetation is what is meant by the writers of the tome. Although I'd prefer the 1st more liberal interpetation (because any thing that allows more critical hits & cardboard carnage is just more fun :P ) Besides, its not like doubling a 5 TK # is all that unbalancing (see my results in the game up thread)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Koz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

I learned a sniper trick the hard way. Keith and Randy moved their sniper right to the boards edge, guaranteeing that with the bounce effect there was a 50% chance that the sniper would stay in the same area and hit the same targets over and over and over again. I lost my 10-2 and the HMG kill stack to this tactic.

Landing craft and caves are not as hard as I thought. Of course next time I need to land with beach obstacles.

Randy, Keith and Dennis are very patient waiting for me to move.
Koz
10-2
10-2

PreviousNext

Return to April 2010 Meet