Thanks for an excellent outing!!!

Postby Dear Leader » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:46 am

How'd it go?
Dear Leader
Dear Leader
Dear Leader

Re: Thanks for an excellent outing!!!

Postby drchilds » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 pm

MMP playtest-fest, with Scott and Randy playing the '42 Russian-Italian extravaganza, and Jeff and I rocking out to late war heavy metal. I thouroughly enjoyed our scenario, and with the exception of a few typos, think it's ready for publication. Randy to post his AAR soon.
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Steve and I did a playtest for J9, which featured Italians (me) and Soviets (Steve) in September 1942. Boards 11 and 19 are used along with some building overlays, which cluster in the center of the boards to form a small village. The Italians are attacking, with 14 squads and 5 tankettes. The Soviets are defending with 6 squads and 2 nice 76L guns, with a counterattack force arriving on turn 2 consisting of 9 squads and 2 tankettes. Victory for the Italians is to control the 6 building hexes in the village at game end. Each captured or destroyed 76L gun also substitutes for one victory hex.
Steve deployed his squads in the woods closest to my start line. We later realized that the 76L guns were set up incorrectly, as we both misread the board hexes (the overlay hex 2 we had treated as hex P2 for set up purposes). I mention this as most of you know my personal dislike of overlays. Not really a big deal, as we allowed a mulligan to reset them.

My plan was to frontally assault the Soviets in the woods and push into the village, while several squads flanked the woods to the west, using the hill on board 11 for cover. The tanks would push around the east of the woods, looking to envelope the Soviets and cut off his reinforcements that enter turn 2 on the eastern edge.
The Italian assault was costly for both sides. I had several squads shot up and broken, and a few never recovered during the game. My break was returning fire and breaking his 9-0 commissar, his only leader that starts on the board. Once that happened, he couldn’t rally his brokies, and the Italians fanned out and overwhelmed the defenders. No real subtlety in the attack – but not much option when using Italians.

Once I was able to surround the broken Soviets in the woods, the defense quickly collapsed. The Soviets were left with 1 squad from the set up group; that squad proved tough and stunned an Italian tankette. Still, at the end of the second turn his reinforcement arrived, and I had only 1 of the victory hexes under control. The Soviet counterattack was brutal.
The 2 squads I sent around the western flank found one of the 76L guns, which blew them into little chunks. The survivors fell back and just barely avoided his two tankettes, which used a lateral road to swing around to attack the western flank. These 2 tankettes established themselves on the hill overlooking the village, and shot up anything that moved for several turns. The Italians had no AT assets, other than two captured ATRs, one of which malfed the first time it fired. Steve wouldn’t let the tanks get close enough for me to use the FT or DCs I had, and the tank closed off the flank to further advance. I did manage to finally rally my 6+1 leader and a battle-hardened half squad, the survivors of the flanking force, but they didn’t affect the battle.

On the eastern flank his reinforcements split into two groups. Once group pushed directly into my blocking force, which saw a commissar and multiple squads overwhelm a tankette in CC. The victory was short-lived, as an Italian MMG shot down the celebrating Soviets and broke the 10-0 commissar. The Italian tankette force did its job, and prevented the reinforcement group from retaking the village directly. The northern reinforcement group had to go the long way around to prevent getting shot up, and would only near the village by the last 2 turns. A lucky sniper shot (Italian SAN is a 2) broke his remaining quad on the eastern flank, allowing the leader, squad, and MMG to leave the blocking position and join the main force in the village.

Having secured the church and majority of buildings, I captured one of the 76L guns and consolidated the position. His 2 tankettes still raked the village, and the remaining gun was firing at close range (3 hexes) into the buildings on the north of the village. This also prevented me from holding those last 2 building hexes, as anyone moving into them would risk artillery at close range. His reinforcement group that had detoured to the north took up positions to make a final assault on the village.

We ended this with two turns to go. I feel it would go down to the wire, as I held 4 buildings plus 1 gun, which left me 1 short of victory. On the final turn we both would rush the remaining building, and control would determine victory. Can’t get any closer than that. I would definitely play this again, as either side. Both sides have options and a few toys. Both have regular and brittle units – at one time over half my squads were broken, and leaders were scarce. One 7-0 reduced to a 6+1, and spent the game hiding in a building behind his tanks. That left two 8-1’s, one of which I used directing fire, and one to rally all the brokies. The Soviets suffer as well, with only a 9-0 commissar to start (lost to FTR), and one 10-0 commissar and one 7-0 as reinforcements.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Randym » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:11 pm

DR,

Thanks for letting us use your kit. My USMC and Chinese commies would not substitute well for Italians and Russians in 1942.

Keith,

Hopefully we didn't leave a mess.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby drchilds » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 am

No problem at all. Thanks once again for the playtest work!
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Return to July 2010 Meet