An Important Note About Meet Dates

Postby Dear Leader » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi all,

Every year or so, someone is somehow surprised by one of our event meeting dates, even though we regularly post about them and host a calendar with dates far in the future. To hopefully end future date angst once and for all, I've prepared this note and will maintain its top-most position going forward. It should serve newbs and long-time members alike, hopefully reminding everyone as to our meeting date conventions:

DWAC generally meets on the first Saturday of each month. This is a hard and fast rule. This wasn't always the case but it has been for at least two or three years straight. There are three months that don't work well "first Saturday"-wise, and so we've built in some equally regular exceptions to our rule:

January, July and September will have meets on the second Saturday of the month, not the first, due to the the proximity of major holidays to the beginning of each: New Year's Day, Independence Day and Labor Day, respectively. So these particular second-week meets happen not sometimes, not occasionally, not by whimsy or caprice, but rather each and every January, July and September....

So please don't be surprised in September (or January for that matter) that we aren't going to be meeting on the first Saturday of that month.

One other helpful piece of information to note is that the DWAC calendar is embedded in our site (visit the main DWAC page and click on the events button) and displays event dates into the <large echo effect here>indefinite future.</echo> Visiting the calendar is another way to avoid unnecessary surprises relating to event dates. Take January of 2013 as an example. If the Mayans were wrong and the earth doesn't crack open and/or disintegrate on December 21st, 2012, the following DWAC meet looks to be scheduled (cross your fingers) for the 12th of January, 2013--not January 5th as the 13th is baked in to our rule about first vs second Saturdays. (Of course, the only way to know what date will be in effect is by consulting the calendar.)

Finally, as the primary host for meets, let me say that if I cannot attend (and therefore host a given meet) I have no preference as to what date is arrived at for that month. I would rather leave it up to those attending to best decide this, especially if a secondary venue may not be available on what would otherwise be the most customary and/or consistent date.

D
Dear Leader
Dear Leader
Dear Leader

Re: An Important Note About Meet Dates

Postby Keith Collins » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:26 pm

Since Dave's post a few thing have changed for our DWAC Club.

As of 2013 most our meets are now held at Active Imagination Game Store in Albuquerque with the occasional meet in Santa Fe.

Given that Active Imagination makes a fair amount of it's income hosting/sell various card games and associated tournaments, we in the DWAC club now schedule our meets to avoid the weekends that AI is hosting a card event, to allow AI the extra space. So our meeting weekends are not quite as predictable or ridgid as they once were.

Please keep an eye one our forums on the DWAC.com website, the eraser board of events at Active Imagination, or our Facebook page (link to come), for the latest DWAC Meet info.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Return to An Important Note About Meet Dates