Re: Lessons Learned?

Postby drchilds » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Review the map setup.
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Re: Lessons Learned?

Postby Randym » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Keith and I played scenario 44, The Gauntlet. Keith’s Germans (5-4-8 paratroopers) are attempting to cross maps 2 and 11 lengthwise, and exit units off the map. My Norwegians are all 4-3-7 green troops, and must delay them for 9 turns. The Germans have city busses for transport, but these risk bog rolls if they move off road.

I set up the roadblocks to cover both roads, with squads and an lmg at each, covering from the woods. Pretty obvious where these choke points would be, given the road net. I also deployed a large number of squads in depth, since if they got around me they could race off map quickly. I ignored my left flank, since a large hill with no road should be able to slow down the busses. In retrospect, my setup left some holes in it, and the dummy stacks didn’t fool anyone.

Keith moved his VW scout car on the road, streaking around the front line to draw fire and reveal the defending positions. I must admit to not having seen this tactic before … and it is one I will use myself next time I have a VW! The VW even climbed a hill and overran a squad (yes a ‘1” overrun), breaking it and forcing its surrender. Those 4-3-7 green squads will melt away quickly with an ELR of 2. I did manage to get a lucky shot at a busload of krauts before they unloaded, and killed the bus and 2 squads.

The Germans shot up my front line, and then collected the prisoners for use in removing the left roadblock. Another trick I must remember for later use! I remember prisoner use from RB to clear rubble, but still didn’t see this coming. I used skulking quite a bit, and fought a delaying action trading space and units for time. The SAN for the Norwegians was 5, and the sniper got hot at several moments: immobilized the VW of Death, killed a 9-2 leader, and nailed a 2-3-8 HS as it neared the exit hexes.

As Keith pushed forward, he killed and captured most of my force. I was left with 3 squads (of 18) at the game end. But that was enough, as it took too long to clear the woods/building resistance nest in the center adjacent to the road. In the final dash at the end (Turn 9), Keith counted and did not have the forces needed to exit for victory.

I was feeling pretty good about the victory, until I saw the ROAR rating: 35 Norwegian to 12 German. Ouch. I should have done better, since it was really close. I always learn when playing Keith.

Things to do differently:

More of an outpost defense, with a larger reserve. The reserve has to move with leaders, since green squads only move 3. I had squads on the flank that could have been used in the center; as it was, they wandered around trying to find a way back into the fight. Keith saw them coming a mile away, and they weren’t going to catch any transport by surprise.

I wasted the lmg’s – they should have been more centralized. One was way in the backfield, and only came into play near the end, and one was out in right field, taking long range shots. All could have been better used.

I wasted two leaders (the 7-0 and 8-0). Neither were in position to rally or direct fire. Only my 9-2 was well-placed, and proved hard to take out.
Only one of his busses bogged. I shouldn’t have relied on any bogs happening – the rolls are just too random, and Keith was very careful to minimize his off road to 2 hexes or less each turn.

On the whole, it was a great time. Keith can check another one off his list of core scenarios. 8-)
Randym
9-1
9-1

Return to November 2010 Meet