Lessons Learned.

March 2011 Meet

Lessons Learned.

Postby Keith Collins » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:00 pm

I learned once again,

You should read and discuss the VC's on the scenairo card with your opponent before the game.

The scenario I played had a sudden death VC (get into any stone building in the village) or you could win at game end by accumulating more CVP than your opponent.

I of course understood it to be, you must get the sudden death VC AND have more CVP.

<smacks head> dufus.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Re: Lessons Learned.

Postby Randym » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:41 am

Keith and Jeff - thanks for playtesting the scenario.

Here are some changes I made:

1. I will leave the Polish assault fire rule as per the ASLRB - so only Elite and 1st line squads have assault fire. No need to muck up the existing rule.

2. The VC for this scenario will include Exit VPs for the Poles (in addition for CVP for both sides), so units exited off the south map edge will count. This forces the Germans to not fall back to defend the village with those troops in column near the map center. Since the Polish cavalry can run along the west map edge and exit in only 4 turns if unopposed, the Germans will have to deal with that threat. One thing the Germans did not need was more cavalry loose in their rear area, and historically they did try to keep some sort of a continuous front. It also means the TKS could exit if not dealt with for even more points.

3. I have changed the number of Polish cavalry squads from 4 to 5 (so a potential of 10 VPs for exit).

4. The German HQ garrison must set up in any stone building of Piatek village (not just any building).

5. The German units defending the forward area must set up north of the xx20 row. They could still fall back immediately, but this forces them to set up hear the historical front.

6. Fixed the typo - the Germans do have only one 9-1 leader in that group (sorry Jeff).

Again, thanks for playing!

Randy
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Randym » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:49 am

Had a good time playing La Petite Ferme with Koz. I'm afraid my play was sub-par. I screwed up my mortar placement, and they were NA in the game. I also should have kept the 9-1 leader back to form a really point, rather than losing him in the kill stack. I ended up with at least 4 squads out of the fight due to lack of a leader in the right place.

I also could have rolled better with the panzerschrecks - 3 hull hits against a hull-down tank! Aim higher, guys ...
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Keith Collins » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:28 pm

Randy,

Just to say it again, I really enjoyed your scenario. I guess I like the wide open country HASL map.

The changes you made sound good.

I wonder though if now the West board end creep (or dash, more appropriately) with the tanks and/or calvary would give the Polish the edge? With the paucity of German AT weapons and reinforcement entry area and timing. Probably not. If the Poles Dash then the Tanks aren't likely to help the Poles build up a CVP edge in combat.

I'd really like to play this one again, as either side.
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:38 pm

Keith,

I tried the west edge dash. The German group on the road make this dicey. The lead German squads, assuming a the 9-1 leader and the lmg are at the point, will make the cavalry think twice since they can lay a fire lane down the road to the board edge. Since cavalry get a -2 mod on the IFT, this can be a real "ouch" moment.

Since the cavalry enter on turn 2, the Poles see what the German first move is. If they fall back to the village, the cavalry can dash and pick up 10vps by turn 4. The tanks will take longer, and the German recon assets will just get within los as the Poles are ready to exit, making a gauntlet with side shots likely. The TKS are small, so it is a crap shoot. If the cavalry and tankettes exit, then the German will have to counterattack to make up the points. But the cavalry is also good for flanking the German positions, and the TKS can help break up the German defenses ... so lots of choices for both sides.

One question I have after reading the armor assault and platoon movement rules:

When infantry moves in amored assault with AFV using platoon movement, do the infantry spread out with the vehicles (say, 1 squad per vehicle) or do they bunch up with the lead AFV? The last sentence seems to say they are all under the lead vehicle.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Keith Collins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

Randy,

IIRC, you can't use platoon movement to give infantry impulse movement to use armored assualt over multiple hexes. The infantry must be in a stack in one hex.

Now, units that are already eligible for impulse movement (human wave, calvary wave) can do a combined platoon movement/wave impulse move with AFV's to use armored assualt. But of course the various "wave's" have prerquistes of their own to meet before gaining the ablity to impulse move. Banzai as a form of HW works as well. Not sure if a convoy (not sure what the infantry equivalent is called column? perhaps?) would allow impulse movement for infantry thus combining it with platoon move for a multi hex armored assualt.
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Keith Collins » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:53 pm

Randy,

There was a discussion on the GS forums about the combo, multi hex armored assualt thing. It was generally agreed that it was not allowed, execpt by the exceptions I mentioned above.

The consensus was that it would be a nifty SSR, optional, or house rule. Most everybody agreed a leader should be required to make it happen, perhaps even a TC.
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:38 pm

Ok, just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. In the 2nd scenario the Poles have some funky armored cars, and was trying to figure out a way to utilize them. Armored assault seemed like one option.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:03 pm

Randym wrote:Had a good time playing La Petite Ferme with Koz. I'm afraid my play was sub-par. I screwed up my mortar placement, and they were NA in the game. I also should have kept the 9-1 leader back to form a really point, rather than losing him in the kill stack. I ended up with at least 4 squads out of the fight due to lack of a leader in the right place.

I also could have rolled better with the panzerschrecks - 3 hull hits against a hull-down tank! Aim higher, guys ...

I plan on doing and AAR but works been positively insane and I have not had the brain power for it.

Your Mortar placement was wrecked by the Bombardment wasn't it? As were all of your dummy stacks. Loosing that ROF3 hurt indeed. Those things murder on the Bocage once zeroed in and the open ground. Their emplacement gved more +2 terrain as well.

I learned the x-1 leaders as the rallier in an earlier playing of this as the US. With the 6 morale the US spends all its time broken. Once you lost the leader it was yikes with the leadership dearth in the game.

As per the PZKs. I forgot about them. Was thinking "Yeah, Out of range of the PF's." Tells you how long its been since I have played ASL that I forgot my own OOB! ;) THe Hull down of the bocage sure saved my bacon.

With the spectacular Bombardment, and some of your rolls I am hesitant on major changes. I will increase the 7-0 to an 8-0 (Kept him 7-0 to avoid LLMC's) And I will have to dig out the note sheet to remember the other changes.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Return to March 2011 Meet