Lessons Learned

Postby Dear Leader » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:12 pm

Lessons Learned?
Dear Leader
Dear Leader
Dear Leader

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby Randym » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:07 pm

Keith and I played OB4, Headhunting for Bloody Huns. Several lessons were learned.

1. Read the victory conditions. We did, but it didn't "click" until Turn 3. I remembered the first part, that the Germans received CVP vs the New Zealanders, and double points for exiting the north map edge. So my strategy for assaulting the hill and taking out his gun and MG position with one group while running the board edge to exit troops was fine, except that this would have cost me the game. The Germans also receive points just for surviving ... so no need to assault the NZ position and take additional casualties. Ketih had also concentrated on preventing the unit exit strategy, but over-shifted before we re-read the VC.

2. Read all the SSR's, not just those for your side. The captured Italian gun that the NZ have caused me great headaches. I read SSR 5, that captured use penalties (A21.1) do not apply. OK, so the NZ do not lower the breakdown number by 2, and do not lose 1 off the ROF. The "except" part I misread. They do have to use the red "to hit" numbers (we did this), but Case H DRM applies as well. Case H? The NZ would have to add +2 to their To Hit attempts.

The same could be said for the NZ rearming of the penal units. The 4-3-6s could have been replaced by 4-4-7s more easily because the NZ gets to modify the DR by the current turn number. Not only would this mean a slightly better unit by end game, but they would regain that extra mp the green units lost.

3. Roll well. Keith's dice sucked all day. I rolled well at the critical moments. I had THREE HOB rolls in a row. Partially offset by the two boxcars that followed on morale checks, but still. I had Berserk squad that took out a MG position, survived as a HS, and was ready to capture his abandoned mortar when the one sniper activation of the game sent them to Valhalla.

4. ASL provides a great narrative. We were both on the edge of our seats until the final dice rolls of the last turn.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Return to April 2011 Meet