Open Discussion Regarding Venue & Time

2012 Events

Open Discussion Regarding Venue & Time

Postby drchilds » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Guys,

I just want to throw something out there. Before I do, I'd like to say that a) I enjoy playing ASL, and b) I especially enjoy playing ASL with you guys. Yes, I haven't made it to meets very often lately primarily due to family commitments, but also because the brevity of our game days and my financial situation has caused me to re-evaluate the cost/benefit of driving 140 miles R/T for a few hours of a scenario that's not likely to be finished.

To wit:

1) Is Ares the best place to play? Considering that they don't open until 10:30 AM, and many of us have to bail by 5:00-ish...? How many scenarios are we really completing? Ideally, I'd like to be cranking out 1 larger or 2 smaller scenarios if we're having only a monthly game day.

2) If a more open and exclusive venue could be established in Santa Fe, would you guys be willing to play up here? By open, I mean we could play from whenever to whenever. By exclusive, I mean, it'd probably be a space just for us. I would be happy to pick up anyone willing to take the train up.

3) I know dear leader has passed to the great unknown, but are his corporeal remnants based in Rio Rancho still interested in ASL?

Let's roll with that for now. Yes this is the result of me once again getting my ass handed to me at WO because I haven't played in 6 months. :roll: :roll:
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Re: Open Discussion Regarding Venue & Time

Postby Randym » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:25 pm

To further comment:

Ares now opens at 11am. Yes, 5 is my 'magic time" for leaving or my car turns into a pumpkin. So 6 hours is the max for me on Saturday. I doubt I could get away with any longer, since Saturday is prime time for family stuff. Summer might be different, since it stays light longer.

I don't mind driving to SF to play sometimes (after all, you guys have been driving down), or trading off locations. The Rail Runner can be problematic, given a limited number of runs on the weekend.

I know this is why Vasl was invented, but I just can't look at a computer screen for gaming after a 9 hour day working at one.

A more permanent location is tempting, especially for OCS games. They do require significant setup time and are never a one-session game (hint, hint).

Dear Leader has been replaced by Kim Jong-Un. Looks like Team America got him.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby drchilds » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:17 pm

Is Saturday not the best day?
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm

I know this is why Vasl was invented, but I just can't look at a computer screen for gaming after a 9 hour day working at one.

Preachin' to the choir, dude. :)
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Well, for me personally, Sundays are better. But that's just me. Jeff and I have been having a great time playing through the BFP Crucible of Steel (Kursk) scenarios on Sundays.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Keith Collins » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:22 pm

OK, here is my 2 cents.

I have a strong preferance for a consistant meet date/time and plenty of advance notice.

Saturday vs Sunday: I'm neutral

I would be for an earlier start, 5-6 pm is my quit time unless I pre plan for a later meet.

Occasional meets in SF, fine by me, I'd suggest we make it consistant such as March - May or in SF or every third meet, something like that.

I think the long term health of the club requires regular Albuquerque meets.

Exclusive to us doesn't appeal to me, unless it comes with the abiltiy to leave stuff up from meet to meet.

[rant mode on]I will say that my "pet peeve" as it were would be that if we as DWAC members would use the forums to set up opponents and select scenarios and preplan defenses/pull counters we could reduce set up time and finish more games. Quite frankly the last several meets have seen us wasting an hour or so to select scenarios and opponents. [rant mode off]

All and all, I don't have any major issue with ARES, but an earlier start and an occassional regulary scheduled Santa Fe meet would be welcome.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:14 pm

Good ideas, Keith. I agree about the pre-arranged and pre-pulled scenarios. A regular Santa Fe meet would also allow an earlier start. I like the idea of 'every third" or so.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Keith Collins » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:40 pm

Just a random Idea,

Maybe all the Holiday month 2nd Saturday meets could be in SF? That's 3 a year right? Jan, July, and Sept, did I miss one?

I can provide the same venue I have in the past for July and Sept avalible to us at any hours. I got nothing for Jan.

We could even keep something "set up" for a multiple meet playing between July and Sept in most cases.

Heck if we get crazy, the venue can sleep 4-6 people if we ever get a wild hair and want to have an ASL weekend.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Randym » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:47 pm

I really like the idea of an ASL weekend. Pizza and beer and ASL. Sort of our own mini-con. :shock:
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby drchilds » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:03 pm

Randym wrote:I really like the idea of an ASL weekend. Pizza and beer and ASL. Sort of our own mini-con. :shock:

+1 !!!
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Next

Return to 2012 Events