ARES Closed

2012 Events

ARES Closed

Postby jjtaylor37 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:16 am

Hi fellas,

Looks like we will need a new venue in ABQ as Ares just closed it's doors.

Ares Wargames is closed, and we will be unable to move forward with plans for Rio Grande Wars ‘12. Based on recent setbacks with the former General Manager being arrested in an online, sex sting (which targeted sexual predators preying upon underage girls) as well as the fact that he wrote bad checks, and with the loss of my job in California, we are now in an untenable position. The primary partners in the business have determined that we do not have the working capital available to manage the crisis nor is any additional debt financing feasible at this point.

The “bottomline up front” is above… I doubt most will read or even skim the rest of the message, but it is here for the handful that might choose to do so!

I met with the New Mexico Director of the Small Business Administration this past week as well as several SBA officials in Washington, D.C to inform them of our situation, based on the fact that they selected Ares Wargames to receive an award as “Outstanding Veteran-Owned Business of 2012” on a national level. Based on the circumstances described above, they are going to be going to the runner-up as the winner to avoid PR issues on their end.

While Gavin's poor judgment and apparent criminal behavior were a significant factor in this situation, it is my responsibility for things ending in the manner they have.

I would like to thank those guests who supported our retail event center as well as the many members of Team Ares who made personal sacrifices and worked tremendously hard as we grew the business during the worst global economy since the Great Depression. In spite of many challenges, our team was able to receive recognition from the Small Business Administration on a national level, awarded the right to host the PTQ Regional Magic the Gathering Tournament,, and had grown sales around 60% year-to-date vs. this past year.

Our vision was to offer the local gaming community a distinct alternative to existing venues and to provide job opportunities for those who needed them. We validated some of our ideas and proved that others were misguided or needed modification. In the end, I believe we had finally validated the core concepts and were moving in a direction which could be repeated throughout major markets in the United States; however, we did not get the chance to test those assertions.

I would like to publicly acknowledge those most instrumental in building the business: Rod, Hamilton, Matt Banning, Matt Springer, Colin, John Eberly, and Matt Knudson. Many others made significant contributions as well. In addition, we had a number of investors who believed in the vision and plan enough to put their hard-earned cash into the business as well as several who offered collateral against the debt financing and commercial lease which enabled us to start the business. Ultimately, I failed them.

http://www.bothsidesofthetable.com/2009 ... esiliency/

The entrepreneurial mindset is a mystery to most. It takes someone who is somewhat (if not truly) crazy to attempt to change the world in a meaningful way by bringing about a paradigm shift in a market, creating new markets, or bringing disruptive technology to market which fundamentally changes the world in which we live. The above link provides some more insight from one of the business bloggers, Mark Suster, whose opinions, analysis, and insights I respect.

I formed my first company while still on active duty in January of 2002 serving our Nation on the “Frontier of Freedom” along the Demilitarized Zone in the Republic of Korea. Since then, I have served as a founder/co-founder and business development/marketing/sales principal in several seed and early-stage , start-up companies in addition to sales positions within the Fortune 50 as well as serving clients in the Fortune 10.

Be that as it may, I continue to pursue other market opportunities with other teams and strategic partners; however, I will never forget those who believed in the vision for Ares Wargames, invested their hard-earned cash, put their collateral at risk, and devoted a significant portion of their lives at great personal cost in an effort to realize that vision.

As some say, good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment. Even though I have continually applied lessons from previous start-up experiences to Ares Wargames, I move forward armed with a new set of experience based on lessons learned over the past two years of developing Ares Wargames as well as other start-ups during the same time period (in addition to my recent “day job” managing a sales territory covering the US West Coast and British Colombia).

In the Academy Award-winning feature film, “The Iron Lady,” Margaret Thatcher quotes Napoleon Bonaparte’s (aka The Gunner) famous description of “[Britain] as a nation of shopkeepers," but so is the United States of America. Our Nation's small businesses are on the front line of an economic war we are waging with our Nation's opponents (note I did not use the word enemy...words mean things!). The difference between Britain and the US are vast, despite our commonalities. Our Nation is one defined by such epic cinema as "Cinderella Man" (about the response of our Nation to the Great Depression), The Pirates of Silicon Valley (about the rise of foils Apple and Microsoft), and The Social Network (a version of Facebook's rise). Along the way, there are other defining ones like "Wall Street" and Gordon Gekko's (aka Michael Douglas) speech to the shareholders of Teldar Paper. Much less remembered is the dialogue between the British investor and Gekko about Gekko being a "two bit greenmailer" who drives up the price of a company which affords an opportunity cost between an investment in additional plant and equipment vs. a higher share price.

When you choose to buy from a local brick and mortar store (of your choice), you are passing the ammunition on the front lines of the epic struggle in which our Nation finds itself.

I would urge you to support the local game stores (and those which primarily sell comics in addition to games) such as Twin Suns, Active Imagination Family, Kaboom Test Labs, Raven’s Hollow, Collector’s Paradise, and Realm of Possibilities (in Santa Fe). You might save a few bucks on the internet with Amazon or other options, but those businesses do not provide local gamers a venue for building the relationships which bind a community in a hobby which is admittedly dying a slow death as on-line gaming and social media gaming take the place of face-to-face gaming (hence the Ares business model of a hybrid offering to gamers in addition to community engagement beyond the traditional gaming community to serve as ambassadors of the hobby…in an effort to sustain and grow the gaming community).

For those who actually read this far, I am not sure what to say! Thanks for reading…

When next you roll the bones, may they land in your favor! Or…as they say in “The Hunger Games”:

May the odds ever be in your favor!

SEE YOU ON THE HIGH GROUND!

Best Wishes,
Sean
jjtaylor37
8-1
8-1

Re: ARES Closed

Postby Koz » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:22 pm

I was just about to post this. Damn it! I liked them and they had just got the MMP Distribution thing set up.

Do folks want me to check Active Imagination for a possible venue?

Koz
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby jjtaylor37 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi Koz,

AI sounds good. They supposedly have open gaming tables so I don't think it should be a problem.

Jeff
jjtaylor37
8-1
8-1

Postby Koz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:26 pm

They were consolidating down to 2 chunks of the shopping center (eliminating the food part) when I was last there. I'll check for space and see if we need to reserve a table.

I'll also check the community center across the street.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Sorry fellas,

I've been out of pocket at banking school the last 2 weeks, (I'm still out of town), but I'll be back by the end of July.

Sad news about ARES.

Koz,

I'm going to assume that you've had no luck with Active Imagination given you haven't posted in a week.

I can offer my place as a Santa Fe venue again if folks are interested.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Keith Collins » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:12 pm

OK,

August of 2012 we'll meet in Santa Fe

Sept of 2012 we already planned on meeting in Santa Fe

Long term I think we need to find an Albquerque meeting location for DWAC, and we have 2 months to find one. (OK, it's not that drastic, we can meet in Santa fe in October as well).

But will you Albquerque dwellers look into a meet site in Albquerque in the mean time?
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby peacmyer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 pm

I'll be at AI on Thursday night, shall I ask about availability on the first Saturdays of the month?
peacmyer
7-0
7-0

Postby Koz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:24 pm

Probably a good idea. Sorry I wasn't able to check. RL took a dump on me last week and I didn't have time.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:43 pm

Yes please,

Ask about the first Saturdays of the Month, starting in October.
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby peacmyer » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:50 pm

Good news! The owner said no problem to the club attending on the first Saturday of the month.

She suggested that someone email her to confirm that this would start in October, and her email address is mgodard@gdnet.com.
peacmyer
7-0
7-0

Next

Return to 2012 Events