OCS

2012 Events

OCS

Postby Koz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:47 pm

I figured we need a topic for this since its becoming popular at the meets.

I set up GB 5.1 on Thursday (Made watching the debate a lot more palatable) and started pushing pieces around yesterday. Learning a lot.

My basic plan as the Germans is to punch through the middle of the board using the railroad that runs from Shostka to Bryansk as my supply line. 2 German Divisions would pocket the Russians at Seredinava Buta, then run towards the rail junction at Narlya, and 2 divisions would cross at the bridge at 19.14, then run to seize Dmitriev-L'Govskiy. Bonuses would be the Russian supply dumps at Seredinava Buta and Narlya. The cutting of the rail lines would mean I wouldn't have to deal with reinforcements in the maps center where I plan on running an extender from Shostka for the late game push on Bryansk. West of Bryansk, I would hold.

German Fighter sweeps cleared out the Russian air force as an afterthought. Hip shots from the Stukas DG the forces covering the 19.14 and 19.17 bridges, and later at Seredinava Buta. I gas up the 17pz and then I learn something.

I had always thought that the supply phase was the last phase of the game. I've watched the game played a couple times but it never filtered through until this moment that the Supply phase is directly after movement, before react/combat/exploit. Talk about an epiphany. I had read that "skillful use of reserve markers is necessary for attack" but I now understand. Instead of running the 18pz behind the 17pz in the movement phase. I mark them reserve and use the 17pz to carpet behind the Seredinava Buta Russians. I do the same thing with the 4pz an 3pz, halting the 4th at the extreme limit of my HQ's throw range (Cleaning out 19.14 and Sevsk in the process) and leaving the 3pz in reserve. I finish tight pocketing the Seredinava Buta Russians with the 29mtr so I wont have to deal with breakouts returning (33% chance) and then wait for the Exploitation phase to pop the reserve Pz divs and run them at full movement. The added bonus is that the 3pz is out of trace supply at he end of it's move, but I wont have to worry about it until my next phase. Their organic truck is full and present so it can supply any defense needed until I break open a trace line next turn. So press your attacking division with emphasis on the imminent supply phase as it limiting factor, then run like hell with the reserve division (bringing supplies) and eat off the map until the next turn where you should be able to link it back up to trace. Very cool! Also very dangerous if the Russians are in reserve and can cut your supply path, but they have no reserve markers in this scenario (And reaction is before exploit to boot).

West of Bryansk, I tried an experiment. Shifting the cavalry around to 17.25 and 18.25, and then pushing an Infantry division to 23.32, ZOC's out the supply of all the infantry on the river line there. SNAP! I just realized that the infantry had to go to move mode which negates ZOC's! Well that was the intent. The South cavalry still ZOC out the Russians as they are in combat mode, but the infantry Division does not. Oh boy. they are about to get a pounding. I was expecting a cut from supply so any attacks from the Russians would be 1/2 FP. I moved all the infantry across the river. I dont have supply for defense so there is going to be a pounding at 1/2 FP for unsupplied defense. BIG German mistake. Hope the AR differences will save them.

Oh in the center the Germans did not make it to Narlya. Overly ambitious turn one objectives. They did halt at the bridge at 21.22. I thought of moving around to try and knock 21.23 out of supply, but decided to stay on the railroad for better movement next turn. This sucks as the Russians can now shift troops to the center from Narlya south.

Starting the Russian turn 1 now. Having just noticed the major oops at Bryansk, the Russians have a chance of opening a can of whup-ass on the Germans over the river. They certainly have the supply. Is it worth it though...

I am thinking of shifting much of the troops at L'Gov to Orel as Kursk is not worth VP in this scenario (Gamey but I need those troops.), although I do like the counterattack opportunities on the German supply line if I leave the tanks there. Russians have 9 railroad points to play with and internal lines. Wow!

The bunched up Pz are sitting ducks for the Soviet Bombers in L'Gov as the Germans have not had a chance to rebase their fighters at Dmitriev-L'Govskiy (taken in the exploit phase) so no flak bonus for PZ. I was just thinking and I really should have saved the German fighter I had on CAP to rebase at Dmitriev-L'Govskiy if I had just pushed the 3pz forward in the move phase and ate off the map to allow this. The extra expenditure in supplies though eating off the map... Decisions decisions. Water over the dam.

Just going to let the Seredinava Buta Russians die. Not worth giving the Germans a Bark Soup they can use in Orel.

Question. I saw a video on youtube (Orel in one turn) where someone gets to Orel in one turn. Looks like he went into strat mode to do it (which is suicide to me). I can't figure out if this is a sane move. Yes I could make it in strat mode with the 3pz. But that is positively asking for it. RR the 5th Cav to Ponyri and they can make it in move mode...Hmmm, half movement coming off railroad movement...No they can not. There has to be a counter to insanity of this sort. Is this the fix to the VP puzzle? I am having a hard time figuring out how the germans can take all 3 victory positions in 3 turns. If so its a bit cheap. Strat modeing that far into the enemies rear is against the spirit of the rule IMHO.

Anyhow. Hope this generates some discussion. Neat game. I'll update as my next mistake filled half-turn comes to pass.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: OCS

Postby Randym » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am

No rule book handy, but IIRC units in strat mode are fairly helpless. They have 0 combat strength and a 0 AR. Any attack, including an overrun by a 1 factor unit, becomes the max column against them. They cannot eat off the map, and must end their movement in trace supply. If they do suffer attrition, they do so as a 0 AR unit (ie. they die). And since they are in strat mode, they are no longer considered attack-capable. Which means they cannot enter hexes containing enemy air bases, supply points, etc.

So, keep them far away from enemy units. You can do the deep move, but a good opponent will make you pay. :ugeek:
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Well using reserve movement I have figured out how to end up in 40.24 in move mode.

Not quite Orel but close to it.

Too late for this play test though.

Koz
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Finished the Russian turn 1. Thinking of a reset as I have learned several things, but all is not totally lost.

First though.The action! The Russians got a big replacements roll getting 3 Pax 1 Eq and a Ftr. Russians attacked the concentrated German 3pz at Dmitriev-L'Govskiy for a horrible roll and no effect , then the concentrated 4pz at Sevsk for a DG. Lesson learned as the Germans. Disperse those PZ divisions. I had 5 RE in both hexes, all vital to the blitz. I am now short one of those divisions this turn.

The Russians moved out of L'Gov, shifting the 2nd Guards and 160 Inf by rail to Orel. This is a total of 5 RE, but they are on double track the entire time so only count at 2.5 RR points (!!).5th cav move to Kromy tracing supply overland to the detrainable hex at Ponyri. This should stop use of the track through Dimitrovsk by the Germans, forcing them north of the river between Dimitrovsk and Narlya to protect their supply. Although this may not be that bad a deal for them as it refocus's the Krauts to sever the train lines between Orel and Bryansk. This is close to Russian reinforcements and will allow threat on the supply line by the 5th Cav.

Tanks move up to block the RR from Dmitriev-L'Govskiy to Narlya, tucking behind the river at 24.22 and 24.23 in support of the infantry at 23.22. A 26-1/3-1 artillery Battalion tucks into 24.23 in support. As the Germans I am now appalled. I have the entire 18pz in 23.21 which can not overrun across the river. All he hexes I have mentioned are light woods, enough MP to stifle an overrun. All is not lost. I can attack with the infantry in leg mode across the river. (1 mp river+1mp woods). But this will leave the infantry behind. The 17pz is strung out behind on the road where it carpeted the breakthrough at and it will be a bear to get them massed again. Frustration has been placed on the so far victorious Germans.

No overruns occur as the Russians are all very low AR vs high AR Germans.

Supply phase is a disaster for the Germans. 3, 1 AR, 2 step infantry are tight pocketed at Seredinava Buta. Attrition kills them on a 5+. 2 roll 4's, loosing 1 step but still alive! the 17pz is now ballocked up behind lines to contain 2 infantry divisions that managed to somehow scrounge up supplies in the pocket. I may commit a bark soup there if they survive the next turn. Depends on the German disposition.

At Bryansk, things don't go to well for the Russians. I had planned on using the Kytusha rockets in reducing the mistake at 23.32. Move mode has an attack value of zero though, so Stalin's Organs stay in Bryansk for the final defense there. I was startled to find very little in the way of artillery in Bryansk only able to move a single 6-1/3-8 into range. This settles in 23.31 to support an attack against the 4-4-3 in 20.31 by the 2 12-2-2 in 20.30 and 21.31 respectively. If successful, this will ZOC 3 german units out of supply. The artillery, however, is to no effect and the Germans get surprise in the infantry attack causing a step loss in one of the Russian divisions. The disaster is averted by superior training. Even worse. the infantry at 23.32 was not reduced, so when it flips combat mode next turn it will cut the supply road to Bryansk.

To the south of Bryansk the Russians are a little more successful.3 Russian divisions push the upstart cavalry off the supply line. With the movement of a wagonload of supplies to 19.30, the Germans lose the chance to supply kill the Russian line west of Bryansk this turn, and if the wagon is not taken, the next.

Final Russian moves are way South around Belopol'ye. A hoarde of cavalry pour out of Sumy and with the Infantry advancing out of Belopol'ye, manage to surround, surprise and annihilate 2 german units at 15.06 and 15.07. This threatens the German supply crossroads and airfield at Konotop. This advance is vulnerable to the Germans from Nedrigailov, but its knocked 2, AR5 Germans off the map and will force a redeploy of assault guns to the rear, that are desperately needed forward. I had pulled the 2 Germans back expecting this, but not enough. One more hex of retreat would have kept the Russian infantry out of range. Big rolls for surprise helped out the Ruskies though. I was tempted to do a cheat though and flip 2 german infantry that were way back into a belated reserve mode. I think they can get back to make a save so I will not. THis was something that should have been done last turn though and I count this as a learning mistake. Plus it makes the area much more interesting with two 20 point Inf Divisions out of play. ;)

Russians have no reserves and the Germans had not committed any, so the turn effectively ends here with no reaction or exploitation.

Initiative die roll. The Russians win. Debating a double move, risking a German Double the next turn or just giving the germans a go to avoid any chance of a double move. The latter sounds prudent. Germans start on turn 2.

This is a hell of a scenario so far. Very tough for the Germans who will be supply crunched next turn. I have also placed the 18pz in a horrible position. I think I can punch through the defensive line across the river, but if victorious the Panzers will be in another blob of woods, that the Russians can shift to and delay. I have also noticed that I have all of my heavy artillery way the hell back, having not really moved them at all last turn. I don't have any supply for a barrage from them though so this may be a moot point. Russians are feeling smug. They have made a good shift as far as I can tell to salvage a shambles. Next turn will tell.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 pm

Guys,

Jeff Newell is putting up some OCS and SCS stuff on eBay. I think he's selling these on behalf of the family of an acquaintance who died.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jnewell68/m.htm ... ksid=p3686
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Pushing some VASSAL pieces around in the hotel here.

Am I reading this correctly. 5.7 and 6.1c. Terrain effects chart for Burma. Mountains are "ALL" MP. Crossing a river on foot is "+1".

Crossing a river into mountains would be All+1. SO I would not have enough MPs (All +1 is one to many) But 6.1c says I can always move one hex unless prohibited (A "P" on the movement chart.)

So my Japanese unit can go one hex under 6.1c in reserve modes 1/4 movement. Then in move mode I can go all again for a second hex in the mountains.

The mules 3 hexes back cant move this way though unless they start adjacent to the river crossing as they will have spent MPs and cant spend all to meet 6.1c. Also. Mules, being transportation units, can not be in reserve mode unless they are organic.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:07 pm

Correct on all counts. Reserve is the way to get an extra hex in bad terrain. Consider it either a gamey mechanic, or a way to show strategic movement in bad terrain - since the Reserve marker would leave the unit vulnerable if attacked (1/2 strength).
Randym
9-1
9-1

Return to 2012 Events