Thanks for an Excellent Outing/Lessons Learned

May 2012 DWAC Meet

Thanks for an Excellent Outing/Lessons Learned

Postby Keith Collins » Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Hello all,

Thanks for a great game Jeff. I enjoyed it despite having to use Randy's inferior counter storage system :roll:

It seems everyone enjoyed themselves, even are new young recruits. Finally Denis has some maturity appropriate opponents :P .

It was good to see faces we have't seen in a while, Hope Joel and Steve can make it in town to join us more often.

I'll post my lessons learned later.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Re: Thanks for an Excellent Outing/Lessons Learned

Postby Koz » Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Sorry for the last minute drop out.

What scenarios were played?
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Wed May 09, 2012 5:57 pm

Joel and I played one of the new Dispatches from the Bunker scenarios, Spare the Pagoda. Japanese defending in semi-urban terrain against British, set outside Mandalay in spring 1945. So, Japanese but not PTO. The British must use their 12 squads and 3 Shermans to take 13 buildings including the Pagoda, which is fortified. The 8 Japanese squads have some lmg and two crap 70* infantry guns.

Joel was able to take all needed buildings except the pagoda, but a late Japanese counterattack took back 4 buildings and managed to hold the pagoda. The 70* infantry guns only managed to immobilize one of the Shermans on turn 1, which continued to fire as if it were a pillbox for the remainder of the game. My THH were useless, and never even got close to his other tanks. The set DC was avoided, so no fun there. My only real surprise were the 2 HIP half squads that denied him building control from the upper levels. His sniper hit the pagoda, and killed my 9-1 leader and striped the squad on a yahtzee. So it still came down to the last turn.

Lessons learned:
Well, still learning to use the Japanese. Forgot that the Japanese leaders act as commissars. THH were set up HIP, but in this case I should have left them out, and generated them as needed since he avoided my (poorly placed) THH. The set DC was clever (but poorly placed), but again could have been used to generate a DC hero instead. I misplayed my defense regarding his DCs and smoke, letting his fanatic HS with a DC get too close for comfort. If it hadn't broken on the NMC check the pagoda would have fallen.
Japanese are deadly in CC if they are concealed and 1st line. The ambushes allowed me to go HtH and then retake a couple of buildings after smoking the Brit squads.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Sounds like a neat scenario. I do like the Japanese.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

Don't forget too that TH/DC Heroes can be spawned mid-Bazai charge as well. It's always fun to generate scary things from an already disconcerting situation.

That said, in my experience, Japanese will keep going and do what you want them to do, but once they're where you finally want them to be, there may not be much left. This is especially true of the leaders, since they don't break, but wound--usually fatally if they're mine. :)

I'm just about to start this one PBEM. :)
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Return to May 2012 Meet