Thanks for a great outing?

July 2012 Meet (Alternate Location & Date)

Thanks for a great outing?

Postby Koz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:36 pm

Sorry I could not make it. What happened?

Koz
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: Thanks for a great outing? Yes!

Postby Randym » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:11 am

I will let Keith and Brian do the AAR, since it was still going when I left at 5pm. Played Scenario 25, Gavin's Gamble. Brian took the German defenders, and Keith and I split the Americans. Took forever to get across the damn river! Support weapons were failing right and left. I malfed the 81mm mortar on the first roll, and it was downhill from there. Broke the 81 on the repair roll. Malfed the Sherman MA and it was recalled. Malfed the 60mm mortar. Fixed it 3 turns later, then malfed it again on the first shot. Somewhat migated by the malf of Brian's HIP flak gun on my flank. First squad ashore was gunned down with a KIA. Several squads paddled around in a circle for 3-4 turns.

I know Keith got some "Russian smoke" when his Sherman suffered a critical hit from the German 88.

Did the Americans ever get ashore? :?:
Randym
9-1
9-1

Re: Thanks for a great outing?

Postby grognard69 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:03 pm

Arrived at Keith's about 9:30am and he and I discussed the scenario Gavin's Gamble and ended up brushing up on rules and then rolled for sides. I ended up with the German's defending the river and an elevated road. I set up my defense to defend the elevated road and let the Paratroopers have the river crossing unmolested. Well it worked out okay, since I don't think any Amis got to the other side before turn 5. While 26 assault boats were doing circles and beaching and unbeaching, Keith and I were dueling on the German left flank from across the river. He had 2 Shermans, 2 HMGs with a 9-2 leader and a 60mm mortar against my 88L and 81mm mortar on the elevated road. Interesting SSR allowed me entrenchments on the road, so effective TEM was +2 and a smoke screen. The duel lasted several turns resulting in a burning Sherman and a bunch of dead or broken HS around the HMGs (.50Cal). For my effort I lost my 81mm to a critical hit, but by the time his paratroopers landed they were on the isthmus of the left flank and got pounded. Forced his paratroopers to the center flank into a group of woods, which was fine with me, cuz I had an OBA spotting round wandering all over the place. Still had the 88L, a squad w/MMG an 8-1 leader and another squad w/LMG ready to pour fire into that woods line. On the right flank with Randy, it was a little more mellow, not a lot of targets for Randy to shoot at. He forced a squad on the elevated road to seek another location and cleared his landing zone of my pitiful conscript squad. He malf'd the MA on a sherman, it was recalled, he also malf'd the 81mm and lost it on subsequent repair die roll of 6 and then later malf'd his 60mm mortar as well. He landed on the extreme right flank, got pounded and then landed more Amis just right of center flank. This prompted an immediate response from a HIP 20L AA gun with IFE of 6 that did it's job but malf'd on ROF. Later that weapon was eliminated on a CH from his remaining sherman. Where Randy landed I had clear LOS with several heavy weapons, to include a HMG and squad with a 9-1 leader and another squad with MMG in foxholes covering the approach right of center. Finally got to commit my OBA and dropped harassing fire on entire location and broke, pinned or killed everything but a HS and a 7-0 leader. At that point Randy had to leave. Keith and I continued for another turn where he attempted to turn the right flank and make something happen but was greeted by MMG and HMG fire, that retained ROF and effectively kept his Amis in the right center tree line, which was fine with me cuz OBA was still dropping rounds. After a quick CVP count, we figured the Amis had lost 1/3 of the assaulting force, had about 20 CVP still capable of landing or having landed and possibly forcing a move to center, but he still had 13 or 14 CVP on the other side of the river with no way across. I was pretty confident the right flank was gonna hold and that assault was stopped dead, Keith reluctantly agreed but did notice my setup did not allow for much harassing fire from his heavy weapons on the other side of the river. The left flank was secure as Keith was forced from the isthmus to the center and I still had a HIP 20L AA gun on that flank as well as 4 or 5 squads capable of moving behind the elevated road to occupy entrenchments if need be. Plus the 88L was still there looking left and looking center. He had regrouped in the center with 5 or 6 squads in the tree line, that would have to be his push, but we both agreed it was gonna be a terrible price. We called the game and talked a bit of strategy and what if, etc. All in all this scenario has a lot of replay potential, especially if you can get decent paddling die rolls and hit the shore in a group and not piece meal. I had no forward defense set, but clearly I could have done so and possibly sank a few boats. In hindsight, I think I still would have defended from the elevated road, but might have placed a 20L AA piece or the spotter with OBA up front just to make him think. One 20L AA piece with a ROF of 3 could have meant doom, since all you have to is score a hit and the boat is gone, as long as it wasn't a dud round. Of course anything on the Ami side of the river is gonna pound anything it sees, so that would have been short lived. Now a HIP spotter somewhere on the river bank? Something to consider but OBA would be 1/3 shooting boats in the river on the vehicle * line. All in all I was happy with my defense on the left and right, I think the center was weakest, since it depended heavily on the OBA and being able to redirect my HMG if needed. All in all lots of fun, was sorry to see such a small turn out, it was a great location that could have provided for several hours of game play.
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Return to July 2012 Meet (Alternate Location)