VASL

2013 Events

VASL

Postby grognard69 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:55 am

Could someone smarter than me help me or walk me thru getting VASL installed, setup and working on my PC? I have messed around with it for about 3 hours now and nothing. :twisted: :twisted:

Brian
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Re: VASL

Postby drchilds » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:45 pm

Did you post this before it after I sent instructions?
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby grognard69 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am

DR,

I did finally get everything up and running. I had to re-install the VASSAL engine. My problem was that every time it loaded up the VASL module, it couldn't find the maps. The preferences for map location were not "sticking" or being remembered. Re-installed the entire package per your suggested email and also went and found some great videos on you tube by a guy named IDJester. He has some great videos out there actually. So I got set up and into the "online" lobby or the main room if you will. Don't really know anyone, haven't played a game yet, but trying to set something up so that I can push counters around for real in a match. Some goofy stuff with extensions, since you have to have the same extensions to a game to "sync" with if you are just watching for example. Otherwise you get a few error notices and of course you do not see all the goodies. So far so good, might try and push some counters this weekend. Going to try and start small though, cuz there is a pretty steep learning curve from what I have seen, although, if you know the rules already then it should be just semantics. I showed it to the "newbies" I am trying to persuade and they were blown away, they liked it though. On that note, I have 3 guys who are interested, however, one is a paramedic and his hours are crazy and like I said before one has some medical issues (broken C5) and his stamina is day to day. Hopefully I can get them out sometime at a meet, we shall see. Might be doing something with them this weekend, they have pitched in a purchased Beyond Valor, 3rd edition, they have my "old" ASL rulebook, 1st edition and they have the ASK SK1 RB that DR provided me. I coughed up some American OB counters and my Paratrooper scenarios, since this gives them a pretty good baseline to at least figure out if they are interested beyond a beer and pretzel type setting. Keep you posted.

Brian
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Postby drchilds » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Don't worry about the extensions. They're only important for playing something that needs them... Like a TPP module with custom stuff like OTO.
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby grognard69 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Okay so I a have played two games of VASL so far. Here are a few of my observations:

1. The extensions you can add are actually pretty cool, like the counter TRAY, lazy LOS and OBA draw pile. You do not need everything but only a few things depending on what you are playing.
2. The online lobby seems hit or miss to be honest. You really need to coordinate with someone before you just pop in looking for a game. You can find opponents but you might be waiting for a while to get one.
3. Being able to save the game and walk away is pretty cool, no pieces to clean up or secure, pretty neat indeed.
4. The two gents I played saved and left after turn 2 in each game, not a huge deal but kinda disappointing if you want to play a full scenario in one sitting. See my comment about coordination with other players above.
5. I actually was able to meet up with one of my old ASL buddies from 1996, we haven't played yet but we have spoken via chat and SKYPE. I even noticed a post or two on the message boards from a few others I knew from way back when.

I think VASL is worth the download and worth the suggested donation, very freaking cool indeed. Can't believe I never made this jump before. Thanks DR for helping me get this set up.

Brian
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Postby drchilds » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Re: extensions.

Right. There's some cool stuff in there, my point was more towards not worrying if you sync with an opponent and you don't have all the crap he has.
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Return to 2013 Events