Thanks for a good game

DWAC Meet for January 2013

Thanks for a good game

Postby Randym » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:47 am

Six in attendance. Keith and I played Scenario 110, North Bank. Koz and DR played some Star Fleet Battles. Jeff and Brian played Rage Against the Machine, J157, from the latest Journal.

I drew the Germans and attacked Keith's British paratroopers defending the Oosterbeck landing. Keith killed both my Tigers, one with a Piat and one with the hidden AT gun as it rumbled towards the landing, loaded with SS troops on the next-to-last turn. I was incredibly lucky and had a Berzerk squad take 2 of the 3 VP hexes. And 2 of his 3 Piats broke. Guess I'd rather be lucky ... it came down to the last CC roll, and Keith need a 9 or less to win; he rolled an 11. :shock:
Randym
9-1
9-1

Re: Thanks for a good game

Postby Keith Collins » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Randy,

Thanks for the ASL game of North Bank. It was an intresting game with swings of luck on both sides. I really do think it was a well played game on both sides. Both players came up with gambits that had the dice rolled remotely average would have worked, and both players came up with very competant alternative plans when their plan "A" went to hell. The fun of this playing was that each time either one of us would manueaver things into a situation where we thought, now I've got him, things would blow up in our face (or not in the case of maufunctioning piats). A real nail biter that came down litteraly to the last CC roll.

Thanks for the game Randy, always entertaining, and eduational when I play you. I really enjoyed it.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Koz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks to DR for the trip down nostalgia lane with the Star Fleet Battles game. DR took the Gorn and I took Kzinti. I made a newbie mistake and turned into the corner instead of the open map, allowing myself to be trapped by plasma resulting in an incredible smell of burnt fur. Good Game DR. Wish I could have made a better showing. Proves once gain that you need to make a LEFT turn in Albuquerque. ;)

The benefit of the short game is DR and I were able to take out the ... ummm Star fleet command is it? The SFB lite version ADB has put out. I was very impressed by the counters and SSD's, less impressed by the system itself. I would recommend it as a water tester to intro people to the SFB environment, but DR and I both agree that the tactical choices present in full SFB are sorely limited in the lite system, so ultimately you want to go to full SFB.

Had a lot of fun. And I have to remember that place we went to after for it's Calzones.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:33 pm

Thank you too, Koz for the SFB game. I agree that Federation Commander, while a good game, tries to be too much of a "modern" wargame while at the same time trying to hold on to it's classic '70s origins. I will stick to SFB, and I very much appreciate you indulging me before I spent too much money on it. :) It has plenty of people that like it, so good luck to them. Had I not been an old-school SFB'er, I might have cut it more slack. Meh...

Regarding the singed Kzinti fur... that's what the Gorn does. Once you give a Gorn the center of the fixed tourney map, you've surrendered initiative. Very different story on a floating map. The threat of 100 points of plasma is not something you can sneeze at. In the "real" world of scenarios, the Gorn needs flank support to create the similar effect. Big threat, reality isn't so much the case. But... in the "real" world we wouldn't be fighting each other, would we? You'd be Romulan or ISC. :)

In any case, thank you very much for the game. And if you or anyone wants to give Star Fleet Battles a (or another) try, it's a fast learn, and lots of fun, especially with teams and multiple players. No purchase necessary. ;)

Calzones... across the street at Il Vicino. Great pizza, salads, and 'zones. And good micro brew too! :)
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 pm

I've never fought gorn on the tourney map. I always heard about getting cornered by one of them and this I suppose was the first hand lesson.

In my numerous ISC fights, I usually bore right in (to get away from the PPDs) and take the plasma on a shield, cross the bow to have a fresh shield exposed, then go into a knife fight. There was way too much plasma to do this though on that beast you had. How the heck do you fight it other than go way way fast and saber dance or try and call a pseudo bluff?

I know they maneuver like a tub, so try to get out of the forward arc in a turning battle? HET puts an end to that though. Plus the plasmas will run you down if you keep your turn mode low enough to do that.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Return to January 2013 Meet