Lessons Learned

July 2009 Meet

Lessons Learned

Postby Koz » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Hello. Thank you again to those who helped me in the play testing.

I learned about Fire lanes and the hard and soft hinderances. In the case in point my MMG had a full WP placed in front of it. I thought I was going to lay down a 1 FP fire lane, reducing it twice for the hinderances of the WP. But Keith pointed out it was a 4 FP fire lane because it was through a soft hinderance. The WP effected my first effects DR like normal, but subsequent fire lane strength was not further hindered by the soft hinderance smoke. Were it a hard hinderance, the Fire lane strength would slip one column for each hinderance hex passed through.

I got to watch another overrun executed against my squads. I learned two things. Squads marked with First Fire can not make PF checks. If their support weapon is marked FF they can still PF check. Not inherent FP though. Of course once this happened I got overran by the M4 I thought I was going to faust. Even with the chart, overrun mechanics still befuddled me. It's slowly making more sense though.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Re: Lessons Learned

Postby Randym » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 am

I had a great time, and learned a lot. I am still getting used to overruns ( I do get the calculations now) and smoke. The Americans have many more smoke options than most of the other Allies. Still getting the hang of this.

LOS and bocage still confusing, but the more I play the more I learn. I am un-learning the use of bazookas in bocage, given the rules limiting use of latw with HEAT to hard targets. Interesting that the newest BFP modules Beyond the Beachhead 2 and Operation Cobra still insist onplaying it the "old" way. :roll: Personally, I prefer to use a rule that reflects the weapon's historical use, rather than one simply continued for alleged balance reasons.
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Yeah. I am so used to seeing folks shoot up buildings and anything with bazookas, that I forgot they arent effective on Bocage. Sice there are only 2 buildings that wont factor into the game much, I will probably remove the Bazookas to reduce clutter.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Good idea to remove the bazookas to reduce clutter. I couldn't figure out anything to do with them. How did the game end?
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 pm

Randym wrote:Good idea to remove the bazookas to reduce clutter. I couldn't figure out anything to do with them. How did the game end?

Turn 7, Keith had me on the ropes. I dont think I could have got to LOS without unholy die rolls. I plan on writing up a large AAR sometime this week.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Here is the AAR, Randy. =) Comments from you and Keith welcome. Particularly to balance.

Great game to you both.

http://www.dwac.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20&p=90#p90

One of the good things about play testing. Even if I loose I am ecstatic if its close. ;)
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Randym » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:35 pm

Hmm ... won't let me see the AAR. Some sort of restrictions?
Randym
9-1
9-1

Postby Koz » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Try again. I think I got the settings right now.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Koz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:25 am

If any one reads this, could you try to get into the DWAC PAC folder to see if I got the settings correct. Imperious Leader is out of town till next weekend so I wont be able to bug him till then. I have 3 new scenarios I am coming up with which I describe there, plus a big AAR from out playtest game last meet.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Keith Collins » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Koz wrote:I learned about Fire lanes and the hard and soft hinderances. In the case in point my MMG had a full WP placed in front of it. I thought I was going to lay down a 1 FP fire lane, reducing it twice for the hinderances of the WP. But Keith pointed out it was a 4 FP fire lane because it was through a soft hinderance. The WP effected my first effects DR like normal, but subsequent fire lane strength was not further hindered by the soft hinderance smoke. Were it a hard hinderance, the Fire lane strength would slip one column for each hinderance hex passed through.

Koz, quick note.

With regard to the Hard Hinderances, (bold section) It is not a column shift. Hard hinderances give DRM to firelane shots just as if it were a regular shot. They do not cause colum shifts (for firelanes).
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Next

Return to July 2009 Meet