Thanks for and excellent outing & Lessons learned

DWAC Meet for January 2015

Thanks for and excellent outing & Lessons learned

Postby Keith Collins » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:08 am

Good turnout,

The return of old club members making the making the meets and some new blood is exciting.

I'd like to thank Eddy for a fun playing of the first half of Trapped. We'll play the second half at a future meet
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Re: Thanks for and excellent outing & Lessons learned

Postby Koz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 am

Had a good time playing a game of "To the Rescue" from Red Barricades. Randy and Brian teamed up as the Germans and I played the Russians.

As expected against two opponents of this caliber I lost. However I did have fun. The scenario is a bit of a puzzle in set up, with SSR's that guarantee a widely dispersed force, then movement restrictions. I didn't noodle out the puzzle properly and furthermore made a crucial setup error (forgot to put level 1 counters on the board for my key fire base, leaving them on ground level with no LOS...oh and I set up the key mortar in the building too - DERP) so when my opponents got extremely hot dice on top of some tactical errors on my part, I was cleanly whupped. Randy generated TWO HOB Heroic Leader promotions, and an encircled half squad managed to escape destruction. Brian got 3 straight up KIAs on me, rolling snakes and 3's. My 7-0 leader was apparently a Judas Sheep as Randy got two 1KIAs on him, both times killing the squad he was with and leaving him untouched to route back to bring more sheep to the slaughter once he finally rallied. I suppose it is only fair though as last meet, my dice were brutal against Jeff in our tank battle. I threw int he towel about turn 3 when my reinforcements didn't come on and Randy had a train of infantry that I couldn't stop on the way through the gaping rupture that was my containment set up. Good game to you both.

The most fun aspect though was the end where all of us got together and noodled out the puzzle set up for the Russians that I had missed. I was in the opinion that this was one of the most broken scenarios I had ever seen at first, and now want to try it again with a proper set up. I had never even considered setting up on the banks of the Volga (Literally my mind had treated it as a no set up area) and once that was done all fell in to place as I could tie up several gully exits with one building location rather than dispersing to cover 3. Brian also noted that I was limited to 2 "NON HIP" units per letter column in the SSR during set up, thus the HIPster was able to set up freely, which made the defense of a key building much more viable.

I'll probably want to try this one again some time in the future. It was fun getting to play on the RB Map somewhere other than the Bread Factory. It makes the maps a lot more alive once you actually move bits around them and learn their little foibles and eccentricities.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby drchilds » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Hey guys... some sad news: John Hill, the original designer of Squad Leader passed away today (Monday).
drchilds
10-2
10-2

Postby Scott G » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:56 pm

Sorry to hear about John Hill -- and sorry it took so long for me to post this note, but have had a hectic couple of days.

Wanted to say thank you to Keith again for making the arrangements and setting up the meet!

Also wanted to thank Jeff for a fun game of Partisans vs. Croatians.

Looking forward to doing this again in February -- have even started re-reading Chapter D so am on the cusp of attempting vehicles again very soon!
Scott G
8-1
8-1

Postby Koz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:23 pm

Scott G wrote:Looking forward to doing this again in February -- have even started re-reading Chapter D so am on the cusp of attempting vehicles again very soon!

Let me know if you want to try the vehicles. I will be happy to play you as I do enjoy the tanks only battles.
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Scott G » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:37 pm

Koz -- a most intriquing proposition. Let me see how long it takes me to get all the way through the vehicle rules again (and I don't want to try and do Desert rules at the same time). I might not be quite ready for Feb, but certainly by March. That being said, there are a couple of scenarios I recollect looking at long ago that I always thought might be fun -- let me see if I can find them and suggest them back to you.
Scott G
8-1
8-1

Postby Koz » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Traverse Right is an excellent intro scenario. Only about 3 tanks per person so it is quick and can be played twice at a single meeting if needed.

Koz
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby Scott G » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:08 am

I don't know if I have that scenario -- where is it published?
Scott G
8-1
8-1

Postby Koz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:06 pm

Scott G wrote:I don't know if I have that scenario -- where is it published?

Umm...I am not certain. I have a photocopy Kieth or DR gave me of it...
Koz
10-2
10-2

Return to January 2015 Meet