Scenario Choices

DWAC Meet for March 2013

Re: Scenario Choices

Postby Keith Collins » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Howdy Fellas,

With regard theme meets, I realized after reading the posts that a number of you were not DWAC'ers when we did theme meets on a regular basis. Back in the day, a fair number of DWAC'ers were fired up to learn as many ASL rules sections as possible so we started doing theme meets. We'd all read up on the rules section in question, and then play one or more cooperative or team games in leaning mode during the DWAC theme meet with the goal of understanding the rules section. I must say we rarely finished these games. At the following DWAC meet we would often pair up and play scenario that highlighted the recently learned rules sections in a more traditional "competative" game. This process has served me well in learning a number of daunting rules sections.

So for folks that want to do the night moves, I will bring pre pulled ASL 020 Taking the Left Tit with a defense pre planned. This looks like a good scenario for 2-3 players (enough attacking americans to divide amongst 2 players) to learn night. I will also be happy to take 10-15 minutes at the beginning of the meet to discuss night rules/tactics (I'm not an expert but I have 10 or so night scenarios under my belt). It's unlikely we'll finish this scenario but it should give a real good introduction to night rules.

If we get 4 players for night I suggest we sit at the same table and play the same scenario to increase learning with during game discussion. So I'll pull ASL 020 twice incase we decide to go that route.

I will also bring some non night pre pulled stuff in case folks truely want to bail on the night theme.

I am willing to play other scenairos if that what folks want to do.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby Keith Collins » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 pm

Just noticed Brian posted while I was composing mine.

Sure bring Ft Mcgregor, It might be a bit much for leargning night with all the other chrome, DTO, bombardment. I would suggest it for next meet to reinforce the night stuff we learn this meet.
Comfortable with Chapters: A-G, J, O, P, & V
Will play ASLSK to teach new players
Will happily play anything ASL (IIFT preferred)
sig erratta (replace Chapt P above with Q)
Keith Collins
10-3
10-3

Postby grognard69 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Keith,

I like your plan for "theme" meet, that was initially what my understanding was. However, I got the impression people were bailing on that idea. I am in!!! Let's do Taking the Left TIt. I am going to mention it to my newbie too in the event he can come. This is a perfect chance for me to brush up on night rules and him to experience a bit of the advanced squad leader, "chrome".

Brian
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Postby Koz » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:00 pm

Oh Damn it! That was last weekend wasn't it?

Did the theme meet go?

Bloody hell I was thinking it was this weekend. I hate February sometimes.

Koz
Koz
10-2
10-2

Postby grognard69 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

Koz,

Keith and I did do a night rules scenario, Taking the Left Tit. It was very educational and truly helped re-enforce the night rules for both of us. As in any American scenario, the Yanks are brittle and can be frustrating but they do always bounce back. One thing for sure, there are a shit ton of dice rolls that need to be made, straying, illumination availability, etc. So you kinda lose track of your dice and the averages, etc. I definitely was frustrated with the brittle moral of the Yanks, but they do bounce back, eventually. At one point half of my OB was broken or DM, it was very rough and my frustration was evident, to wit I must apologize to Keith for that. In the end the scenario length and the resiliency of the Yanks helped to carry the day, although without NO MOVE restrictions, Keith would have ate my lunch for sure. It was in hindsight a very educational and good time. The Night can be daunting and frustrating, but honestly it really forces you to re-think your tactics, because you DO NOT want the defender getting freedom of movement for his units. I would gladly play this scenario again as either side and would gladly play any other night scenario as well. I told Keith that the Night rules were kinda weird and goofy, but it is like Hedgerow Rules, once you get started it is a whole different tactic.

Brian
grognard69
8-1
8-1

Previous

Return to March 2013 Meet